How to Make a Chocolate Emulsion

YouTube Preview Image

Virtually every recipe I have written for hot chocolate, chocolate ice cream, or chocolate sauce involves making a chocolate emulsion. An emulsion is simply a mixture of two liquids that don’t normally mix, such as oil and water. Chocolate can be a bit tricky to work with, and consistently getting a smooth, glossy final product is not always so easy. In fact, I struggled with it before going off to France for the Valrhona chocolate course. There, I learned a very simple trick that’s shown in this video – adding warm liquid to warm chocolate in small parts, mixing all the time, until you have a very professional looking product.

Anyway, here’s the video! I hope it’s helpful. Here are recipes where it might come in handy:

Technorati tags: , , , ,

9 Responses to “How to Make a Chocolate Emulsion”

1. January 16th, 2008 at 1:40 pm

Willie says:

Valrona chocolate course? So jealous.

2. January 16th, 2008 at 6:27 pm

brian says:

Wow, your’e video blogging now!? I’m so envious of the Vlarhona course–that’s one of my favorite chocolates and I’ve been using it to make my chocolates for about 5 years now. I also somehow expected you would have a stronger Irish accent (I’m assuming you are Irish, right? ). The final sauce you made in the video looks really thin. What was that sauce used for?

3. January 16th, 2008 at 7:01 pm

Although I’m an Irish citizen, I grew up in the States, so that’s the accent. As for it being thin – it was hot chocolate, not chocolate sauce!

4. January 17th, 2008 at 5:13 am

Ben says:

OMG That looks delicious!!!

I had to do the same thing today to make chocolate ice cream. Mine didn’t go quiet as smoothly at first unfortunately, got there in the end though :)

5. January 17th, 2008 at 3:48 pm

Rachel @ Fairycakeheaven says:

ooooooooooo a Valrhona chocolate course what a wonderful birthday present idea for me!!! tee hee hee and also mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm chocolaaaaaaaaaaate

6. January 19th, 2008 at 4:51 am

Astoria says:

Could you boil the milk, sugar and cinnamon and then pour that hot liquid instead into unmelted chocolate? That’s the way I was taught by a chocolatier to make my truffles, and I never had the problem of seperation or what not. I wonder if that could be applied to this?

7. January 19th, 2008 at 1:42 pm

I know. Many people do it that way. However, especially when it comes to hot chocolate, I don’t want the taste of boiled milk! I find that this method gives the best consistency and flavour.

8. February 15th, 2008 at 10:40 pm

Monika Rumpf says:

More videos! If you ever start courses about chocolate, and working with chocolate, pls let me know!

9. February 2nd, 2009 at 11:07 pm

benoit lorge says:

Hi Kieran,

lucky you to went to that valrhona chocolate course(best chocolate ever…)
    next time you are more than welcome to complete that course
    in Kerry, i am starting chocolates courses for beginners and advanced in my chocolate shop ,
    Let the people know .