Affogato al Caffe

Affogato pouring¬†One of my favourite treats in the whole world is the Affogato al Caffe, and I just wish that more people knew about it! After all, it combines two of my favourite things – coffee and chocolate. If I make an affogato with chocolate ice cream, it includes three, although vanilla would be the more popular option…

Affogato al caffeIn any case, the name Affogato means “drowned in coffee,” referring of course to the ice cream, and when I came across it, I thought I was in heaven.

To make it, you simply take a scoop of ice cream (we like to serve it in a small coffee cup) and pour over some espresso (we use a single shot run long, in other words, an espresso lungo). In the shops, we serve the shot of espresso on the side and let the customer do the pouring.

I think I must do more research now, and have another one!

Technorati tags: , , , , ,

12 Responses to “Affogato al Caffe”

1. July 8th, 2006 at 2:04 am

gilly says:

Hi Kieran! This sounds heavenly! The ‘do-it-yourself’ approach is a neat idea – and the coffee cup is so appropriate! Lovely!

2. July 8th, 2006 at 4:06 pm

Zac Pruitt says:

Kieran,

Is this called something else in the States? Can you add booze, such as Godiva liquor?

Becky says she’s had this, but I can’t say that I have. I will soon, though . . .

Zac

3. July 8th, 2006 at 4:12 pm

I love booze over ice cream, and I wish we had a license that allowed us to serve cognac, port, baileys, etc. over ice cream. But it doesn’t look likely!

4. July 23rd, 2006 at 12:32 pm

Paul Power says:

Hi Kieran, I had the pleasure of experiencing your affogato last weekend in Killarney and it was great ! I’ve long been a fan of the vanilla/expresso combo after spotting it a few years ago in a Nigel Slater book .. but somehow my homemade versions just never taste as good. For anyone else reading, if you haven’t tried one yet you don’t know what you’re missing.

Paul

5. July 24th, 2006 at 10:22 am

I’m delighted, Paul! Thanks for that.

6. August 9th, 2006 at 8:53 am

Betty the Sheep says:

I had this last night in Cafe Bar Deli and it was delicious. It’s a great idea for an easy dessert.

7. June 26th, 2008 at 12:50 pm

Tracey Mannion says:

I am South African – living in USA for 5 years and now Starbucks are bringing in the Fraggato in 2008…addition of berries on top…..

8. June 26th, 2008 at 4:01 pm

Greg says:

It appears that Starbucks now will be making this in the states. Sounds yummy. Can’t wait till it comes to D.C.

9. February 3rd, 2009 at 10:14 am

Stephanie Quilao says:

That looks divine! Am totally craving one now :-)

10. October 23rd, 2009 at 4:32 pm

Wellsty says:

One of my favorite cocktails uses the affogato as a base. Simply add a shot (or more) of advocaat and a little vanilla syrup. I wish I could claim this recipe as my own, but I cloned it from my favorite cafe in Atlanta called Cafe Intermezzo, they call the drink “Joe Cartwright”.

11. June 25th, 2010 at 4:54 pm

18 hours in Dublin | Journalist.ie says:

[...] just in time for a summery weekend’s worth of ice cream eating. Make sure you try the affogato. Have time for a catch up with the Daily Spud over little savoury tartlets (mine: asparagus and [...]

12. January 8th, 2011 at 3:59 am

jonathon says:

Doesn’t affogato just mean “drowned” in italian. I’m not so sure it means “drowned in coffee”. Still I could be wrong.
    (I was wrong once before, april 4th, 1973. I remember cos it was raining:)