Chocolate Sorbet With Organic Ingredients

Chocolate Sorbet Close We recently brought in some organic sugar, and we’ve been working with a few varieties of sorbet with all organic ingredients. Several of them turned out very nicely, but the best was the chocolate sorbet. If you’re a chocoholic, the following recipe will give you a chocolate kick that you won’t get with ice cream…

(A little disclaimer – we are not certified organic and don’t claim to be. That’s because although we are committed to organics and buy organic when possible, our priorities are as follows: 1 = taste, 2 = fresh, 3 = local, 4 = organic. In other words, we’d rather use delicious, fresh milk from a local farm than organic milk powder brought in from another country. We can then also push for our local partners to move organic.

Chocolate Sorbet Plate

We hope that in the future, all four of our priorities will intersect for all of our ingredients!)

Murphys Chocolate Sorbet Recipe

Ingredients:

300 gm Organic Sugar

500 ml Boiling Water

80 gm Green and Black Organic Cocoa

300 gm Green and Black Maya Gold Organic Chocolate

Chocolate MeltingWhat to do:

1. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler.

2. Sift cocoa and sugar together in a heat-proof bowl.

3. Stir in water in small parts until the sugar and cocoa are completely dissolved.

4. Add the water/cocoa/sugar mix to the melted chocolate in small parts, stirring until you have a smooth emulsion. The chocolate will clump at first, but just keep adding the liquid and stirring until it is smooth and glossy.

Chocolate Sorbet on Spoon5. Cool the mix completely.

6. Freeze using a domestic ice cream maker or cover and place in the freezer, stirring every two hours to break up the ice crystals.

Enjoy!

Technorati tags: , , , ,

11 Responses to “Chocolate Sorbet With Organic Ingredients”

1. July 6th, 2006 at 1:30 pm

Anthony says:

Hi Kieran,
    Your Chocolate Sorbet looks just too good! Worth a trip to Kerry!
    However, and despite your disclaimer, you cannot legally use the word Organic in the name of the product unless you are certfied. I presume, but can’t confirm, that you can indicate that the ingredients are organic sugar, organic chocolate etc., but you can not call it Organic Chocolate Sorbet.
    I won’t give you a dissertation as to why you can’t use the word Organic!

2. July 6th, 2006 at 7:52 pm

Thanks for that!

We would never use “organic” on our packaging, but since this sorbet has all organic ingredients and the recipe is intended for home use, I think that the recipe can be called “Organic Chocolate Sorbet…” Or?

3. July 6th, 2006 at 11:27 pm

Upon further reflection, I have changed the wording here on the blog (again, we would never market the product as organic through our sales channels). However, since this can be considered to be a marketing vehicle, I’ll change it to avoid any wrong impressions…

4. July 7th, 2006 at 9:44 am

Anthony says:

Thanks!

5. July 16th, 2006 at 4:30 pm

Barbes says:

Hi Kieran, thanks for this recipe. I tried it a few days ago. It mixed together beatifully and smoothly.

I wonder if I did something wrong, though, because it wouldn’t freeze in my ice-cream maker. I ended up putting it straight into the freezer… but I was delighted with the result anyway! So incredibly rich. You’re right about that chocolate kick.

6. July 17th, 2006 at 3:01 pm

Glad you liked it. Was the mix cold enough going into the ice cream maker? It really needs to be around 5-7C…

7. August 1st, 2006 at 12:05 am

Barbes says:

Ah, no, it was just at room temperature when I put it in the machine. Now I have an excuse to make it again, thanks!!

8. September 11th, 2006 at 2:36 am

Jessica "Su Good Eats" says:

Yummers, thanks for the recipe! I was looking for a low-fat chocolate sorbet (with cocoa powder mostly), but this looks delicious, and I’ll try it.

9. October 3rd, 2009 at 3:56 pm

detoxdietlady says:

every food that we eat should come from Organic Farming. i really get scared about those toxins coming from chemical fertilizers and chemical pesticides. I only eat foods which are certified that they are organically grown

10. May 1st, 2010 at 7:12 pm

Chuck Ediger says:

it is still better to adhere on organic farming because the fruits and vegetables does not contain those harmful chemicals.*.;

11. October 25th, 2010 at 9:33 pm

Claire says:

I tried this chocolate sorbet recipe this weekend and I loved it! It is so rich and smooth,everyone was surprised there was no cream or milk… The only thing is it melts very very fast once you take it out to serve it, but it is probably due to thr consistency :) anyway, thanks for the recipe, will do it again!