I’m happy to announce that we’re now offering free WiFi to customers in our Killarney shop. So, if you’re a visiting blogger, business person on the road, or a tourist with a laptop and the need for broadband, come in for an ice cream or a coffee and ask for the password!
As someone born in NY, I was raised on hope and dreams – that people can make a difference, that one can succeed in life on merit, that the U.S. is fundamentally good. There have been serious questions raised about all of those under the out-going administration.
I don’t believe by any stretch that all problems will be solved with Obama as President, but I do feel this election will bring about real change in terms of what people (both in- and outside the US) believe is achievable, and that is a very, very good start.
We’ve received our commercial waffle maker, and today we launched waffles in our Killarney shop. Customers seem well pleased!
I promised a recipe, so here it is – one from my mother – with the substitution of buttermilk for regular milk, which I find makes them even tastier. We serve them with vanilla ice cream and chocolate sauce, but there are countless ways to enjoy waffles!
If you’re looking for a waffle maker in Ireland, Brown Thomas has a good Cuisinart one for 79 euros. Lidl had a special on waffle makers last week (20 euro, but the waffles come out pretty thin) and might have a few still kicking around.
Sophia’s Buttermilk Waffles
- 225 g flour
- 1.5 teasp baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 70 g butter, cut into small pieces
- 350 ml buttermilk
- 1/2 teasp salt
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teasp cinnamon
- 1/2 teasp vanilla
What to Do:
- Sift the dry ingredients, except for the sugar, together.
- Separate the eggs.
- Add the sugar to the egg yolks and beat together.
- Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry.
- In a small saucepan, over low heat, warm the butter and buttermilk, stirring all the time, until the butter melted. Do not overheat!
- Pour the buttermilk and butter into the dry ingredients, stirring until somewhat smooth.
- Add the egg yolks and vanilla, and stir until incorporated.
- Gently fold in egg whites
- Cook according to the instructions of your waffle maker.