Dark Chocolate Ice Cream

Dark chocolate ice cream in tub We’ve been playing around a lot with our chocolate ice creams over the last months, and here’s a flavour that has gone down a storm in the shops. Instead of using melted chocolate (such as in our chocolate whiskey recipe), as we have always done, we’ve used pure, 100% cocoa powder. The benefit of this is that you’re introducing less fat into the ice cream, and so it has a much more intense chocolate flavour.

If you want, you can add chocolate chips for even more chocolate hit.

DARK CHOCOLATE ICE CREAM

Ingredients:

• 120g sugar
• 5 egg yolks
• 220 ml cream
• 220 ml milk
• 80 gm pure cocoa
• 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
• 75 g dark chocolate chips, optional.

Dark chocolate ice creamWhat to do:

1. Combine the cocoa and sugar and stir until combined.
2. Add the egg yolks and beat until thick.
3. Bring the milk to a low simmer.
4. Beat the milk into the egg/sugar/cocoa in a slow stream.
5. Pour the mixture back into the pan and place over low heat.
6. Stir continuously until the custard thickens slightly (around 65-70C) and just coats the back of a spoon. Don’t over-heat, though, because at around 76C you will scramble the eggs!
7. Immediately remove from the heat.
8. Allow to cool, then stir in the vanilla.
9. Whip the cream until it has doubled in volume (you should have soft peaks – don’t over-whip).
10. Fold (gently stir) in the custard.
11. Freeze using a domestic ice cream machine, or cover and place in the freezer, adding the chocolate chips when it is somewhat solid.
12. If you’re using a domestic ice cream machine, transfer to a freezer-proof covered container when the ice cream has achieved a semi-solid consistency (around 15 minutes). Place it in the freezer, and continue to freeze until it is solid.

Yield: 8 servings

A drop of melting chocolate ice creamNotes:

1. Make sure your cocoa is of a good quality and is fresh. Cocoa can go stale very quickly once it is opened.
2. In case you’re wondering, we’re using Chocolaterie de l’Opera cocoa at the moment, which has a lovely taste and an amazing reddish colour.
3. To pasteurise the eggs, heat the custard to 73C and maintain that temperature for at least 5 minutes. Use a cooking thermometer, though, and keep stirring! If the custard goes any higher than 76C, the eggs will scramble. Immediately cover and place in the freezer until cool.

Technorati tags:

9 Responses to “Dark Chocolate Ice Cream”

1. May 12th, 2009 at 1:09 pm

Chocolates says:

Very nice recipe!!
    I like chocolates and all chocolates related recipes.
    So very thanks for this. I hope you brings more recipes in future.

Thanks

2. September 29th, 2009 at 2:26 pm

Ice Cream Ireland » Blog Archive » Caramelised Orange Marmalade says:

[...] have some fun with it. We are going to do specials like Barry’s Tea Ice Cream and a Biscuit, Dark Chocolate Ice Cream with Irish Whiskey Cream, Bailey’s Ice Cream with Dingle Blackberry Sauce, and Brown Bread [...]

3. October 12th, 2009 at 5:05 pm

Ice Cream Ireland » Blog Archive » Irish Whiskey Cream says:

[...] of our special flavours, for the food festival just passed, was dark chocolate ice cream topped with Kilbeggan whiskey cream. It’s a magic combination, with the smoky properties of [...]

4. March 5th, 2010 at 3:44 am

Sea Salt Ice Cream says:

[...] the flavour of a range of desserts, and we’ve brought it in to complement our new caramel and dark chocolate flavours. It’s certainly caught people’s imaginations, and it’s selling better [...]

5. April 27th, 2010 at 3:00 pm

Patrick says:

Great recipe! Do you use a particular brand of cocoa? It’s hard to find a good one.

Thanks.

6. April 30th, 2010 at 10:32 am

My favourite cocoas are made by Valrhona and Chocolataire De L’Opera. I don’t know if you can find them, but if not, just make sure it’s good quality, fresh, 100% cocoa.

7. April 16th, 2011 at 6:46 pm

bell says:

I have just made this and it’s great. I love how deep the chocolate flavour is with just cocoa. I didn’t add the chocolate chips, because I always find that they don’t have much flavour when they’re frozen…not that I’d object to chocolate chip ice cream in general though! I’ve made this along with my own coffee-cointreau ice cream (with the same sort of ice cream base) which is another lovely flavour. I think that it’s nice to make a flavour that’s slightly unusual, something you can’t buy from the frozen section of the supermarket. Thanks, once again, for all the brilliant recipes and also the ready-made ice cream for when I’m not bothered making my own or when I just need a pick-me-up in town!

8. April 25th, 2011 at 11:38 am

I’m delighted the recipe turned out well! Thanks for commenting.

9. November 4th, 2013 at 10:46 am

Spencer says:

Looks delicious! I love dark chocolate ice cream. It is one of my biggest weaknesses.