Waffles and Ice Cream Makers

Amazon has decided once again to allow Irish people to buy electronics again, and even though I’m seriously annoyed by this, I ordered a Kitchenaid Waffle Baker from them. Our old waffle maker broke down, and hopefully this one (although pricy) will better withstand the rigours of a busy shop. If you have a waffle maker and are interested, I have a waffle recipe here.

While I was on the site, I noticed that they also had the ice cream maker bowl for the Kitchenaid mixer (photo right). Since I’m always asked for a good ice cream maker, I was wondering if any of you have it, and if so, what do you think of it. I’m guessing it’s only a viable option if you already have the mixer, because it would be far cheaper otherwise to pick up one of the many passive ice cream makers out there that come at a fraction of the price. Anyway, I’d love to hear from you if you own it!

Technorati tags: ,

16 Responses to “Waffles and Ice Cream Makers”

1. April 14th, 2009 at 4:36 pm

Annie says:

Want it, want it, want it. But can I afford it?

2. April 14th, 2009 at 5:43 pm

Daily Spud says:

Whatever about the waffle maker, I just want the KitchenAid mixer. Someday…!

3. April 14th, 2009 at 6:36 pm

Martin says:

I dont have that Ice-Cream Maker, but I can definitely recommend the (active) one I own, its a NEMOX GelatoChef 2200

4. April 14th, 2009 at 8:34 pm

rachel says:

Great interaction of icecream and inclusivity! Excellent!
    Feministing had a few posts on the amazon debacle:

5. April 14th, 2009 at 10:19 pm

Kate says:

I have a similar bowl for my Kenwood chef. I find it good but it does take overnight for the bowl to freeze so I bought a second bowl online.

6. April 15th, 2009 at 12:41 am

Marybakes says:

I don’t have this one but I recently got a Magimix le Glacier 1.1L ice-cream maker. It is pretty basic but so far I’m thrilled with it. I keep the bowl in the freezer all the time so I’m ready to go. It was about 50E so pretty good value!

7. April 15th, 2009 at 4:10 am

Dan Swartling says:

I have a 5 quart and 6 quart kitchenaid and a 20 quart hobart mixer. I use the whipping attachment and liquid nitrogen to make ice cream. You can see pics of our equipment at:

Dan

8. April 15th, 2009 at 1:32 pm

David L says:

I have used the Magimix Le Glacier 1.1 litre ice-cream maker for years which you have to pre-freeze for 12+ hours (more like 24) with good results. It requires pre-freezing and can’t really be used more than once before re-freezing but, is cheap and easy to use and can double as a wine cooler. After getting serious about my ice-cream however, I recently bought the Gaggia Gelatiera which has a built-in freezing unit because I always thought that this was one of the best machines available domestically. However, if I was to do so again I think I’d go for the Magimix Gelato instead for its better removable bowl (has a handle and doesn’t require anything to be screwed off to remove it) which can itself be put straight in the freezer, the motor and paddle being separate attachments that fit on top of the bowl and so are far easier to get fixed or replaced if they break and there’s a vent in the top allowing air in to aerate the ice-cream unlike the Gaggia which has a solid lid. Which magazine (do you get that in Ireland?) rated the Magimix Gelato above the Gaggia in several areas including quality of ice-cream!

9. April 15th, 2009 at 2:12 pm

Thanks, everybody! I have the Magimix as well for testing purposes, and I’m quite happy with it. It’s cheap and reliable!

10. April 16th, 2009 at 12:29 am

Deb Schiff says:

Hiya Kieran!

I have the ice cream maker attachment for the KitchenAid mixer. I use it often in the summer, so it’s always chilling in the freezer after I clean it. It works well, but because I’m not big on air conditioning, it gets steamy in the kitchen in the summer. My suggestion to you or anyone else in a less than chilly kitchen is do what I do — insulate the freezer bowl which is what the attachment actually is — while I use it. I wrap the thing tightly in towels, but I make sure not to cover the mixer because the mixer heats up as it works.

Making ice cream with it takes at least 20 minutes, even if your ice cream batter has been chilling over night. Also, don’t overfill it, the ice cream takes on a lot of air and will overflow the bowl.

It also will not get harder than soft serve, just to set your expectations.

All in all, I enjoy it and have made some really nice ice creams from using it.

Here are some links:

http://alteredplates.blogspot.com/2007/10/perfect-vanilla-creamy-goodness.html (this one shows it in action)

d.

11. April 19th, 2009 at 3:58 am

coffee maker says:

reminds me of the old days when my mom used to make home made ice cream

12. April 19th, 2009 at 6:03 am

Kandice says:

I have the Kitchenaid ice cream maker bowl attachment and I love it! I love that it’s not another appliance to add to my kitchen, and I’ve always gotten great results with it.

I did have a problem with the bowl once–it got a tiny crack in it somewhere and started leaking blue liquid all over. I called Kitchenaid and they replaced it right away, so I like knowing that I’m ordering from a company with good customer service!

13. April 19th, 2009 at 11:15 pm

Christine says:

I don’t have that one but I love my stand-alone Cuisinart (http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/e135/index.cfm?pkey=xsrd0m1|16|||0|||||||ice%20cream&cm_src=SCH). It has worked great for years and is one of the best Christmas gifts I’ve ever received.

14. April 21st, 2009 at 12:02 pm

Kitchen Goddess says:

I’d love the waffle maker but can’t afford it and don’t have space for it. I do however have the KA ice cream attachment but I’ve only used it once; not because it’s not good (it made excellent ice cream) but because I never have room in the freezer for the bowl. I’m holding out for a Gaggia work-top machine but in the meantime am making no freeze ice cream like this: http://culinarytravelsofakitchengoddess.wordpress.com/2009/02/28/a-piece-of-cake/ :)

15. April 21st, 2009 at 8:31 pm

Jeannette says:

I did have the Magimix 1.1l but didn’t get on with it very well. Now I have the stand alone Cuisinart, it was a birthday present from my family, and I love it! It makes very good ice-cream, the only down side is it is rather noisy, but I keep it is the utility room so this is not a problem for me. If you have to keep it in the kitchen, I don’t think you would be able to stand the noise of it. No other drawbacks that I can think of though.

16. September 29th, 2011 at 4:05 pm

Sorbetiere says:

Machine a Glace…

[...]Ice Cream Ireland » Blog Archive » Waffles and Ice Cream Makers[...]…