Strawberry Meringue Hearts

strawberrymer I really like the combination of strawberry and meringue, especially for Valentine’s, and I’ve also posted a strawberry and meringue dessert option here. This time, I wanted to try heart-shaped, strawberry-flavoured meringues, to give out as treats in the shops this weekend. It worked quite well, although the colour wasn’t as pink as I had hoped. They are very tasty, though, and they look quite decorative as well.

ryanmeringue2In case you’re wondering, the boy in the photos is my nephew Ryan, who is here in Dingle from Germany, on his mid-term break. He loves cooking, and after a very small amount of instruction, he turned out to be quite proficient at the piping!

Murphys Strawberry Mini Meringues

Ingredients:

What to Do:

1. Preheat the oven to 100C.
  2. Beat the egg whites in a dry glass or stainless steel bowl (if using an electric mixer, do this at medium speed rather than high speed, which will take a bit longer but give the meringues more strength) until foamy.
  3. Add the lemon juice.
  4. Continue mixing until they are fairly stiff.
  5. Beat in the sugar in a slow stream.
  6. Beat until very stiff and shiny.
  7. Mix in the strawberry coulis.
  8. Transfer to a piping bag and pipe out little hearts on a baking tray or silicone mat.
  9. Bake for 60 minutes.
  10. Cool on on the mat, then carefully twist to remove.
  11. ryanmeringue1Store in an air-tight container.

Makes about 60 small hearts.

Notes:

1. If you want to make meringue nests, start in the centre, work out in a tight spiral, then build up the sides.
  2. Please do follow my instructions about the mixing speed. If you mix them on high, the meringues will not be as strong and could develop unsightly bubbles.

Technorati tags:

8 Responses to “Strawberry Meringue Hearts”

1. February 12th, 2009 at 6:17 pm

Monika says:

Take a mental note, he could be a future employee of yours.

(BTW I could not wait for your response the other day, sorry, so I covered the Sacher torte with my own ganache. Will try the honey-version later.)

2. February 12th, 2009 at 7:09 pm

I can understand your impatience! I’d be the same way. Let me know if you do try it with honey.

3. February 12th, 2009 at 10:51 pm

Angela @ A Spoonful of Sugar says:

They’re so sweet, Kieran! Perfect little treats for Valentine’s Day.

BTW, I have nominated you for an award on my blog: http://www.aspoonfulofsugar.net/wp/2009/02/roasted-squash-dolcelatte-wrap/

4. February 12th, 2009 at 11:24 pm

Lucy says:

Wow they look so pretty. I bet they taste gorgeous too! : )

5. February 13th, 2009 at 9:21 am

Kitchen Goddess says:

Oh they look gorgeous!

6. February 13th, 2009 at 11:38 am

Sharon says:

They look absolutely gorgeous.
    Might try them later.
    I’m really enjoying your blog.
    I just started blogging myself. Its very addictive!
    Sharon

7. February 14th, 2009 at 10:50 am

Kimme says:

Wow! Your nephew did a great job! Must run in the family :)

We will be out there in May. If we are able to fly into Shannon or Kerry from Germany this time, we will drive out to Dingle to have some of your wonderful ice cream. :) What a treat that would be!!

~Kimme

8. February 14th, 2009 at 12:54 pm

Thanks, everyone. I’d be delighted, Kimme!