Brown Bread Ice Cream

Brown Bread Ice Cream Here’s the ice cream recipe that Sean and I presented at the cooking demonstration during the food festival. We also made the chocolate whiskey sauce to go with it.

I know I have already posted a Brown Bread and Guinness ice cream recipe, but this has a new improved method for caramalising the brown bread – i.e. simply melting the brown sugar and adding the bread crumbs. It’s so much easier and tastes just as good!!!

BROWN BREAD ICE CREAM

Ingredients:

• 130g sugar
  • 4 Egg yolks
  • 220ml cream
  • 200ml milk
  • 1/3 vanilla bean
  • 250ml volume stale brown bread crumbs
  • 75g dark brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon water

What to do:

1. Cut the vanilla bean lengthwise and put in a saucepan with the milk.
  2. Bring the milk to a simmer. Remove from the heat.
  3. Stir for about a minute. Remove the vanilla bean.
  4. Beat the sugar and egg yolks together until thick and pale yellow.
  5. Beat the warm milk into the eggs and sugar in a slow stream (don’t over mix).
  6. Pour the mixture back into pan, and place over low heat.
  7. Brown Bread Ice Cream CloseStir until the custard thickens (around 60C).
  8. Allow the custard to cool.
  9. Stir in the cream.
  10. Melt brown sugar and water in a saucepan over medium heat until the sugar crystals have dissolved.
  11. Stir in the bread crumbs and allow to cool.
  12. Freeze the mix using a domestic ice cream machine, or cover and place in the freezer.
  13. Add the brown bread once the ice cream is thick.

Notes: 1. Use a very dark brown bread for best results. 2. If it is a fresh loaf, you can crush it into crumbs, spread it on a baking tray, and bake it at low temperature (50C) for a couple of hours to dry it out. 3. A fast way to make (small) bread crumbs is to use a blender or food processor.

Technorati tags: , , ,

11 Responses to “Brown Bread Ice Cream”

1. October 18th, 2007 at 8:08 am

Sarah Bell says:

I have to say I have never had brown bread ice cream but it sounds lovely and not too unhealthy, it’s got a bit of fibre in there ;-) and anything with Whiskey is a bonus. Congrats on the success of the food festival.

2. October 19th, 2007 at 11:53 am

Grainne says:

Wowy..that looks gorgeous. What kind of brown bread would you recommend? Would McCambridges be ok?

3. October 21st, 2007 at 9:03 am

Deirdre says:

Sounds lovely – very tempted to try it out. Could you make it without an icecream maker? Also, should it really read 200 cups of milk?

4. November 5th, 2007 at 7:24 pm

Clare says:

Nice, sounds delicious! Any recipes though that dont involve making the icecream?

5. November 5th, 2007 at 9:43 pm

Well, you can try stirring the brown bread into soft vanilla ice cream…

6. January 17th, 2008 at 12:45 am

Michael says:

Had my first brown bread ice cream at an Irish Pub in Phoeniz, Arizona USA. Found your receipe and it looks great – can’t wait to try it on my friends in Texas.

7. June 28th, 2009 at 9:54 am

karen greene says:

my aunt makes brown bread ice cream and it is delicious.

8. June 30th, 2010 at 11:30 am

Sheshe says:

I have heard you can make ice cream easily using a quality pre-made custard instead of all the hoo-ha with the egg yolks. Anyone tried this or think it would be a good idea?

9. June 30th, 2010 at 10:24 pm

I can’t see why it wouldn’t work, but it could take a little trial and error to get the balance right…

10. April 30th, 2011 at 10:45 pm

Drinks for those hazy days of summer: Rhubarb lemonade « Cake in the country.. says:

[...] didn’t get round to it. I used my precious hours off yesterday for ice cream making instead (brown bread and sea salt from the wonderful Murphys. I fear I went a bit heavy on the maldon salt, oopsys). But [...]

11. June 21st, 2011 at 3:59 pm

It Was the Best of Times, It Was the Currywurst of Times | The Actor's Diet says:

[...] found a recipe for this flavor, but I don’t believe that Scoops’ version uses bread crumbs? I can only [...]