Strawberry and Sage Ice Cream

Strawberry and Sage Ice Cream I promised a little while ago to post the strawberry and sage ice cream, which is pretty much sold out in the shops by this point, but anyway, here it is!

Murphys Strawberry and Sage Ice Cream

Ingredients:

1 cup Sugar

5 Egg Yolks

1 3/8 Cups Cream

1 1/8 Cups Milk

1 Strawberry Sage Coulis Recipe

What to do:

1. Make the strawberry and sage coulis (recipe here)
  2. Beat the sugar and egg yolks together until thick and pale yellow.
  3. Bring the milk to a simmer. Remove from the heat.
  4. Beat the milk into the eggs and sugar in a slow stream.
  5. Pour the mixture back into pan and place over low heat.
  6. Strawberry and Sage Ice Cream closeStir until the custard thickens (around 60C).
  7. Allow the custard to cool.
  8. Whip the cream until you have soft peaks. Do not over-whip!
  9. Fold in the custard and coulis.
  10. Freeze using a domestic ice cream machine, or cover and place in the freezer.

12 Servings

Note: To pasteurise the eggs, heat the custard to 73C and keep at that temperature for three minutes. Use a cooking thermometer, though, and keep stirring! If the custard goes any higher than 76C, the eggs will scramble. Immediately cover and place in the freezer until cool.

Technorati tags: , , , , ,

7 Responses to “Strawberry and Sage Ice Cream”

1. June 27th, 2007 at 9:46 pm

Laura says:

I presume there will be some more for when I get down there next month, otherwise I might be a little put out!

2. February 22nd, 2010 at 12:54 am

Jonny - New Zealand says:

yep, another favourite! Thanks for sharing!

3. February 22nd, 2010 at 5:16 am

EZSweets says:

this ice cream looks delicious! thnx for the info!

4. August 23rd, 2010 at 10:17 am

Sarah says:

I made this at the weekend. A lovely recipe. The sage wasn’t very strong but left a lovely after taste.

However, having found the recipes a little sweet for my pallet I did modify the recipe. Based on the book recipe, I changed the amount of sugar from 130g to 90g. Now I now that Kieran had said to just reduce the sugar by about 5% (based on vanilla ice cream recipe discussions), so I upped the fruit content substantially (320g as opposed to 150g) and also the safe (from 2 teaspoons to 4 teaspoons).

Just looking at the recipe for the coulis shown here makes me wonder if the strawberry amount in the book isn’t too small. I’m sure it said 150g of strawberries.

Anyway, ice cream turned out amazingly well. :-)

5. September 18th, 2010 at 4:37 pm

Braisin' Hussy says:

[...] was inspired by the strawberry-sage ice cream recipe over at Ice Cream Ireland, but after talking with my friend Eddie, he put the idea in my head of the classic strawberry-black [...]

6. April 7th, 2011 at 1:27 am

bell says:

I added a little more sage and it was spectacular! The only problem I have with the recipe is the measurements. What do you consider a cup in terms of grams or ounces? I use cups regularly for American recipes that I have found, but the amount of sugar seems too much if I go by the usual cup measurement. I reduced the sugar content dramatically and the ice cream certainly didn’t need more. Thanks!

7. April 7th, 2011 at 3:28 pm

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah – I’ve moved to metric because of this. Cup are different in the UK and US, and it always leads to trouble.