Irish Cream Liqueur Ice Cream

Irish Cream Liqueur Ice Cream A great Irish ice cream flavour is Irish Cream Liqueur (we use Baileys), and we call it “Bó Bhán” (white cow) in Irish. It’s an easy ice cream flavour to make, and the alcohol in the recipe improves the consistency. This ice cream partners chocolate cake or fruit tarts perfectly. It is also excellent served in hot coffee at the end of a meal.

Murphys Irish Cream Liqueur Ice Cream

Ingredients:

1 cup Sugar

5 Egg Yolks

1 3/8 Cups Cream

1 1/8 Cups Milk

2 Tablespoons Irish Cream Liqueur (we suggest Baileys, and you can add a bit more if you want, but if you add too much, the ice cream will be very soft and melt quickly...)

What to do:

1. Shot of BaileysBeat the sugar and egg yolks together until thick and pale yellow.
  2. Bring the milk to a simmer. Remove from the heat.
  3. Beat the milk into the eggs and sugar in a slow stream.
  4. Pour the mixture back into pan and place over low heat.
  5. Stir until the custard thickens (around 60C).
  6. Allow the custard to cool.
  7. Mix in the cream and the liqueur, beating for one minute.
  8. Freeze using a domestic ice cream machine, or cover and place in the freezer.

6 Servings

Notes: 1. Make sure you add the liqueur when the mixture is cool, or the alcohol will evaporate.

2. To pasteurise the eggs, heat the custard to 73C and keep at that temperature for three minutes. Use a cooking thermometer, though, and keep stirring! If the custard goes any higher than 76C, the eggs will scramble. Immediately cover and place in the freezer until cool.

Technorati tags: , , , , ,

19 Responses to “Irish Cream Liqueur Ice Cream”

1. July 31st, 2006 at 10:38 pm

tg says:

oh YUM

i grew up in new england, where the quality and kinds of flavors exceed the rest of the USA. one of my faves was “grapenut custard” that tasted sortof like an ice cream version of bread pudding, with a creamy vanilla base and bits of plump, saturated grapenut cereal mixed throughout. it has the same wheat color that this has, which is what reminded me.

2. August 1st, 2006 at 1:21 pm

gilly says:

Ooh, I adore Baileys Irish Cream – I definately need to get an ice-cream maker!
    How does one pronounce “Bó Bhán�?

3. August 1st, 2006 at 2:47 pm

Bo Vaughn – I guess that would be the phonetic guide to pronounciation… Grape nuts is an interesting idea. We’ve never tried it. Thanks!

4. August 6th, 2006 at 6:11 am

keesha says:

I love your blog. I’ll be adding you to my blogroll really soon.

5. August 10th, 2006 at 5:31 pm

Jane says:

The recipe sounds wonderful, have to give it a try.

6. April 4th, 2007 at 6:16 am

TACE says:

Was in the mood to make some ice cream yesterday and came across your blog…tried not to drool on my keyboard too much, the pics of your ice creams …yummmmmmers. The Irish Cream recipe caught my eye and I made up a half batch of that except I used a different liqueur. I used some “Wild Turkey Honey Liqueur” Also added some salted pecans but the rest was your recipe. Thank-you, it turned out delicious!!!! Your blog is very inspiring for an ice cream lover!

7. April 4th, 2007 at 8:19 am

Sounds very interesting!

8. June 16th, 2007 at 11:55 am

Melissa says:

I love making homemade ice cream, and I have been looking for a Bailey’s ice cream recipe. This is the only one I’ve found that uses a real custard base and follows the pattern that I use for other ice creams. Thanks for posting it on your blog–I can’t wait to try it!

9. February 4th, 2008 at 3:30 am

Scott says:

Good looking recipe. So good it inspired me.

10. February 7th, 2008 at 5:24 am

TACE says:

Yum Yum YUMMMM, made this recipe again! We switched out the bailey’s liqueur with half apricot brandy and half apricot/ginseng liqueur this time. It’s always soooo hard for me not to tip a little more, little more in to the ice cream, but I know the hazards, drunk ice cream that doesn’t freeze. haha So I soaked some golden raisins and salted pecans in the apricot ginseng liqueur over night so there would be extra bursts of flavour. YUMMMMMM, The combo of liqueurs was my husband’s idea, he’s a genius, it’s true.
    Thanks again for the great recipe. I know yours calls for Baileys but I kept everything else except my add ins the same.
    It’s so thrilling to make such great quality ice cream at home!

11. September 29th, 2009 at 2:27 pm

Ice Cream Ireland » Blog Archive » Caramelised Orange Marmalade says:

[...] like Barry’s Tea Ice Cream and a Biscuit, Dark Chocolate Ice Cream with Irish Whiskey Cream, Bailey’s Ice Cream with Dingle Blackberry Sauce, and Brown Bread Ice Cream with Caramelised Orange [...]

12. October 5th, 2009 at 2:44 pm

lee carr says:

I am so glad to have visited this site today. I usually just read the blog in the USA for turkey hill but visiting here has made my day. please save me a tas of this Bailey’s ice cream for my next visit to Ireland.

13. September 18th, 2010 at 8:10 pm

Murphy’s Irish Cream Liqueur Ice Cream | Braisin' Hussy says:

[...] Irish Cream Liqueur Ice Cream Posted on January 17, 2007 by braisinhussy (adapted from this recipe on Ice Cream [...]

14. March 21st, 2011 at 11:49 pm

Michael says:

I just made this for a special Baked Alaska recipe, and the consistency turned out great! I was curious; in perusing the other recipes, I noticed that every other one has you whip the cream and then fold it in to the rest of the custard, but this one does not. Do you have a reason for this? Is it because of the liqueur that’s also added at the same time that needs to be better incorporated (by beating for one minute)? As I said, it came out of my machine looking for all the world like your picture, so I am certainly happy with it. I’m just fascinated by this extra touch of whipping your creams that I’ve never seen asked for in other ice cream recipes! You just got bookmarked, for sure!

15. March 23rd, 2011 at 10:34 pm

Thanks for the comment! Whipping the cream makes the ice cream lighter – I think I prefer it better. However, this makes a great dense ice cream…

16. April 23rd, 2011 at 4:26 pm

bell says:

Hi Kieran,
    Just wondering why it is that in this recipe you don’t call for the cream to be whipped as in your other recipes? Thanks! Bell

17. April 23rd, 2011 at 4:28 pm

bell says:

Oh, never mind me, I’ve just seen the comment above. Silly me.

18. May 13th, 2011 at 5:10 pm

Irish Cream Liqueur and Cheesecake Recipe says:

[...] an adult kick to the traditional banana smoothie with BBC’s recipe, which combines dark chocolate, bananas, Greek yoghurt, maple syrup, milk and the star ingredient, [...]

19. June 7th, 2011 at 6:23 pm

I Scream for Irish Cream! Irish Cream Liqueur Recipe | Discover Ireland says:

[...] people at Murphy’s Ice Cream have created a special Irish cream liqueur ice cream, just in time for summer. Food & Drink [...]