Burnt Caramel Ice Cream

We’ve been working on a burnt (dark) caramel ice cream for our shops, trying it out on willing customers, and trying to improve it. It’s trickier than I would have thought, and I’m not satisfied with the result yet, even though it’s good and is selling quite well.

I am hoping we can make it much more than good. I’m hoping it can become an unforgettable flavour, since in my mind it has the potential of being something very special indeed.

It’s both sweet and mysterious, simple and sophisticated. I want it darker, more intense, and we will be working on ways to make it more so.

I would love feedback, so if you’re near one of our shops, please have a taste (we do offer tastes for free) and please let me know what you think!

I’ll post a recipe here as soon as we have it sorted!

Technorati tags: , ,

11 Responses to “Burnt Caramel Ice Cream”

1. March 24th, 2010 at 7:49 pm

Helen says:

Yum Yum! I wish I didnt live so far away from you, I would be more than willing to taste. Can’t wait for the recipe.

2. March 24th, 2010 at 11:00 pm

Tweets that mention Ice Cream Ireland » Blog Archive » Burnt Caramel Ice Cream -- Topsy.com says:

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Kieran Murphy, Eoin Purcell. Eoin Purcell said: Burnt Caramel Ice Cream http://bit.ly/bKMd00 The excellent and amazing Murphy's need feedback on their Caramel ice-cream! [...]

3. March 25th, 2010 at 2:55 pm

David L says:

Hi Kieran, are you adding salt when making this or at the end as a garnish?

4. March 26th, 2010 at 12:49 am

Elaine From Cookware Help says:

Hi Kieran – I so enjoy ice cream and the Burnt Caramel Ice Cream sounds amazing. I really must get to Dingle soon it’s been a while but now I know where you are it’s a good excuse

5. March 26th, 2010 at 11:03 am

Actually, what we do is combine the two flavours at the shop – so a bit of this ice cream, and a bit of the sea salt ice cream. However, you could certainly add sea salt as a garnish!

6. March 29th, 2010 at 11:23 am

Roisin says:

Mmmm, looks heavenly!

7. March 29th, 2010 at 10:00 pm

Jenn AKA The Leftover Queen says:

Sounds like an amazing ice cream flavor. The photo is absolutely drool-worthy!

8. March 30th, 2010 at 10:46 am

Work at Home Dad says:

Wow looks so yummy. I love ice cream.

9. April 15th, 2010 at 1:48 pm

Amanda says:

Would love a recipe for this!

10. May 6th, 2010 at 8:21 pm

George@CulinaryTravels says:

I would love a recipe for this. I reckon it would be great with a pinch of salt added too.

11. July 7th, 2010 at 5:10 pm

Dave says:

This flavour is delicious. A recipe would be great, although I’m sure I’d never be able to come close to replicating it.