Goats Cheese Ice Cream

bluebell The first time I came across Bluebell Falls goat’s cheese was at Cafe Paradiso in Cork. I remember being blown away by the delicate taste and thinking it was surely one of the best soft goat’s cheeses I had ever had the joy of sampling. Since then, I’ve bought it whenever I could find it, which isn’t too often when you live in the wilds of West Kerry.

When we started thinking about what Irish foods we wanted to turn into ice cream for our Dublin party, I immediately thought of Bluebell Falls. We contacted the Keane family, and they kindly sent some down. There was a surprise, though – I had always tasted their plain goats cheese. They, however, suggested their honey and thyme cheese.

When we made it into ice cream, we had prepared extra honey infused with thyme by cooking it over low heat. However, we didn’t need it at all. The ice cream was perfect without it, and it really underlines our philosophy that with great ingredients, there is no need to mask or complicate. One can simply enjoy!

GOATS CHEESE ICE CREAM

Ingredients:

• 130g sugar
• 5 egg yolks
• 240 ml cream
• 200 ml milk
• 150 gm Bluebell Falls or other excellent goats cheese
• 1/2 teaspoon vanilla

What to do:

1. Combine the egg yolks and sugar and beat until thick.
2. Bring the milk to a low simmer.
3. Beat the milk into the egg/sugar mixture in a slow stream.
4. Pour the mixture back into the pan and place over low heat.
5. Stir continuously until the custard thickens slightly (around 65-70C) and just coats the back of a spoon. Don’t over-heat, though, because at around 76C you will scramble the eggs!
6. Immediately remove from the heat.
7. Allow to cool, then mix in the vanilla and goats cheese, using a blender or processor just until smooth.
bluebell28. Whip the cream until it has doubled in volume (you should have soft peaks – don’t over-whip).
10. Fold (gently stir) in the custard.
11. Freeze using a domestic ice cream machine, or cover and place in the freezer.
12. If you’re using a domestic ice cream machine, transfer to a freezer-proof covered container when the ice cream has achieved a semi-solid consistency (around 15 minutes). Place it in the freezer, and continue to freeze until it is solid.

Yield: 8 servings

Notes:

1. If you can only find plain goats cheese and like the idea of honey and thyme, you can always add some in to taste.

2. To pasteurise the eggs, heat the custard to 73C and maintain that temperature for at least 5 minutes. Use a cooking thermometer, though, and keep stirring! If the custard goes any higher than 76C, the eggs will scramble. Immediately cover and place in the freezer until cool.

Technorati tags:

11 Responses to “Goats Cheese Ice Cream”

1. June 17th, 2009 at 7:29 pm

Rachel @fairycakeheaven says:

In a word – HEAVEN!!!

2. June 17th, 2009 at 11:07 pm

gillian says:

That is such an interesting combo … and such simple ingredients. WOW!

3. June 18th, 2009 at 5:40 pm

Dianne says:

Oh wow! I want to try that!

4. June 18th, 2009 at 6:40 pm

Caroline@Bibliocook says:

I can just imagine the fun that you had making the flavours for Friday. Those recordings I made of you whizzing around in the factory trying to develop the burnt honey ice cream were priceless! Wish I could be there but a family wedding is keeping me close to home.

5. June 18th, 2009 at 7:12 pm

Sorry you can’t make it Caroline. You’ll be missed! Rachel, Dianne, and Gillian – I hope you can come along!

6. June 22nd, 2009 at 2:25 pm

Olive says:

I tried the Goats cheese icecream in Powerscourt on Friday and it was lovely. The flavour was very mild and subtle. it was delicious! Brown bread ice cream is next on the list to be sampled!!

7. July 26th, 2009 at 3:24 pm

Bernie O'Neill says:

Hi,
    I made the Goats cheese ice cream using the
    Bluebell Falls soft plain cheese. Family and friends thought it was the best gourmet ice cream they had ever tasted. Bluebell Falls cheese can be purchased via http://www.bluebellfalls.ie.
    Bernie

8. July 27th, 2009 at 7:50 pm

Great to hear it! It’s such a wonderful cheese…

9. June 8th, 2010 at 8:41 pm

Cauliflower Ice Cream « Cuisine and Caffeine says:

[...] thinking I’m completely off my rocker. I mean cauliflower ice cream? Believe it or not I have heard of stranger and due to the fact that the idea of savory ice cream creeps me out a little I decided to go out on [...]

10. July 15th, 2010 at 2:11 pm

Orla says:

What would you serve this with?

11. July 15th, 2010 at 11:21 pm

Many things! I’m thinking plum cake or tart or just plums at the moment, but it would be good with many fruits. Also, goat’s cheese and honey is always nice…