Pirouettes

Pirouettes Brian, over at Chocolate Gourmand recently published a recipe and how-to for pirouettes. These cookies, perhaps named for the circular dressage move, are light, tubular cookies formed by rolling them around a wooden spoon.

Pirouettes - 2

What interests me about them especially is that they use egg whites and so are a great way to use the whole egg when making ice cream (where you usually just use the yolks).

They go really well with ice cream, and are similar to the wafers we use for sundaes. I’m not going to post a recipe as Brian has done so here (complete with helpful how-to photos).

I didn’t have any trouble making them, and they are great fun to do. Perhaps when I make them again I’ll try dipping one half of them in chocolate!

Technorati tags: , , ,

9 Responses to “Pirouettes”

1. April 15th, 2008 at 1:53 pm

Patricia Scarpin says:

There are perfect and look so crisp… YUM!

2. April 15th, 2008 at 2:12 pm

Donal says:

Hey Kieran!

These look great- You can make great little ice cream cups with this recipe if you place the little circles on the bottom of a glass and let them cool!

3. April 15th, 2008 at 2:32 pm

brian says:

Wow, Kieran, I’m so thrilled these worked out for you! They look great.

4. April 16th, 2008 at 7:33 am

Vanillaorchid says:

wowwwwww…They are absolutely great and tasty.

I would love to make them with your ice-cream recipe!!

P.S I have made ice-cream from your recipe so many times especially chocolate & cookies cream, they are fantastic!! :)

Thank you for sharing nice recipe.

5. April 16th, 2008 at 1:15 pm

Cian says:

They do look tasty ! I think that the chocolate idea is a great one! MMM even dipped in chocolate and then those lovely Valrhona praline crunchy bits!

6. April 16th, 2008 at 11:51 pm

TACE says:

Golly those are pretty looking, I too vote for dipped in chocolate, and maybe crumbled nuts and a side of coffee…and ohhhhhh mama I am working up a craving. Fabulous photos!

7. April 17th, 2008 at 10:11 pm

Martin Dwyer says:

In my book these are cigarette rousse and tuiles need to be sprinkled with almonds.

8. April 19th, 2008 at 9:41 pm

Thanks, guys. It’s true, Martin. I’d normally make tuiles with nuts. Pistachios can be great as well…

9. October 22nd, 2008 at 5:34 pm

pixen says:

When I was a kid, i remembered one of our neighbourhood sundry shop sold something like pirouettes stuffed with ice-cream. The pirouettes are made from mixture of eggs,sugar, flour and coconut milk. Just like recipe for Chinese ‘Love Letters’ :-) I had to eat as soon as possible before the ice-cream softened the crispy roll. Now, I can find many version of this crispy rolls with assorted cream dips but not with ice -cream stuffing because the lady of that shop cut the ice-cream (that comes in rectangular boxes-sandwich ice-cream?) into sticks just the right size to stuff into the crispy rolls.