Dark Toffee

Dark Toffee I’m in a sweet frame of mind, and here’s a toffee I love to munch on. It’s also used in our Toffee Ice Cream, and I’ll put up the recipe for that in due course. I always love making candy, because I find it such a miracle that sugar can transform itself so radically.

This toffee is very dark and rich, since the recipe calls for dark brown sugar, and one inevitably eats far too much of it. One can, of course, make it with light brown or even regular sugar, but I like the deep flavour of the molasses contained in dark brown sugar.

Ingredients:

• 150 g butter
  • 200 g dark brown sugar
  • 50 ml water
  • 1 teaspoon golden syrup

What to Do:

1. Butter a small baking dish.
  2. Combine all of the ingredients in a thick-bottomed saucepan.
  3. Stir over medium heat until the ingredients are combined.
  4. Turn up the heat and stop stirring.
  5. It will start boiling.
  6. If it starts smoking around the edges, stir gently in a circle around the edge to keep it from burning.
  7. Check if it’s ready by dropping a bit of the toffee in a cup of cold water. It should be firm but not hard to the touch.
  8. Immediately remove from the heat and pour into the buttered baking dish.
  9. Toffee CloseupAllow to cool somewhat.
  10. When it’s mostly hardened, score it with a knife to make it easier to break.
  11. Allow to cool completely, break up and enjoy!

Notes:

1. A word of caution – caramelised sugar is very, very hot, so please take care when making this!
  2. Make sure the pan is very clean before you start. If there is residue already on the pan, it is more likely the candy will burn.
  3. The final product will have the consistency of the bit you drop into the cold water. If you like your toffee soft, take it off the heat when it forms a soft ball when dropped in the water. If you like your toffee hard, keep cooking and take it off the heat when it forms a hard ball in the water.

Technorati tags: , , , ,

8 Responses to “Dark Toffee”

1. March 4th, 2008 at 9:39 pm

Dianne says:

Wow! That looks amazing. I think the dark brown sugar would give it an unbeatable flavor. I must try this!

2. March 5th, 2008 at 5:22 am

TACE says:

THIS…right here is why I love the internet…How on earth else would I have been informed that there is such a think as toffee made with dark sugar?? HOW? The mail man certainly isn’t going to leave me a note, the cats aren’t going to whip up a batch in the middle of the night..no I get it from an Ice Cream blog….thannnkk-you I am so going to make this first chance I get…dark toffee……..who knew?

3. March 5th, 2008 at 2:38 pm

Cian says:

I hope the usual oversnacking while making it happened!! :-)

4. March 5th, 2008 at 3:46 pm

Patricia Scarpin says:

The word “toffee” makes me drool already, Kieran. :)
    This looks good!

5. March 5th, 2008 at 7:06 pm

Dianne and TACE – let me know how it turns out if you make it. Ah, you remember, Cian! I always eat myself sick on these…

6. March 5th, 2008 at 11:25 pm

Lisa says:

Oh, now this looks fabulous!

7. March 6th, 2008 at 2:52 pm

Treasa says:

so if I have time this evening I am going to give this a shot….I think I have by way of a change, everything I need.

8. June 23rd, 2009 at 10:47 pm

Freya Sykes says:

Kieran,

I have to say I’m a bit of a toffee expert as I come from the Riley family that used to make Riley’s Toffee Rolls and I do make toffee all day everyday in our shop to my own recipe but boy oh boy *that* toffee looks good!! I think I may have to try and make it with the darker sugar (I always use light sugar except for bonfire toffee lollies in November…but even then I’m not quite using the same recipe as you’ve got here.) That really looks like a “keep it to myself and scoff the lot on the sofa” recipe!! ;-) Yummy!