Inch at Sunset

Inch Strand, Co. Kerry Sunset One of the things about living in Co. Kerry is that you’re constantly overwhelmed by the beauty of the land and sea. Even after 13 years in residence, I find myself in awe.

Surfer, Inch Strand, KerryWe have had both shops open, which is rare for this time of year, and we will close up after the weekend for a little break. In the meantime, with my brother visiting the inlaws in Germany, I’ve been running back and forth between the two shops, trying to keep them in ice cream and baked goods.

Yesterday, I was driving to Killarney with a batch of brownies and other odds and ends, when I had to stop at Inch Strand. It was simply too beautiful to ignore.

Inch Sunset KerryThe wind was blowing back spray from the huge, rolling waves, the sun had started to set beside the mountains on the Iveragh Peninsula, and a lone surfer tried to battle the sea.

It might have been very cold, but I took a walk on the beach for almost an hour before driving on, soaking it all in. I wasn’t the only one. Quite a few cars pulled over, as their occupants clearly couldn’t resist a stroll or simply a long look.

What a blessing it is to live in such a place!

Later, I ate again at Cucina Italiana in Killarney. Another wonderful, comforting meal, especially on such a cold night. If you find yourself hungry in Killarney, don’t miss it!

Technorati tags: , , , ,

15 Responses to “Inch at Sunset”

1. January 4th, 2008 at 4:04 pm

Luke says:

amazing photos, the winter sun is stunning.

what type of camera did you use, any possibility of uploading a higher resolution version, would brighten up my windows desktop wallpaper.

2. January 4th, 2008 at 5:26 pm

Nikon D80 with 70-200 2.8 lens. I’ll see what I can do about sending you the photo, but it’s on my laptop at home!

3. January 4th, 2008 at 6:49 pm

Jen says:

That’s just stunning, Kieran. Every time I visit Kerry, I’m blown away by how beautiful it is.

4. January 4th, 2008 at 8:41 pm

val says:

Hi Kieran
    I saw the same stunning burning sun, setting over Limerick. But where was my camera? At home! Some photographer I am. But somebody got it for the Limerick Blogger, have a look http://www.limerickblogger.org/blog/?p=4506
    See you soon
    Val

5. January 4th, 2008 at 8:41 pm

val says:

P.S
    Amazing photos!
    Val

6. January 4th, 2008 at 11:03 pm

rose says:

makes a person want to visit Ireland in the winter, not something I thought I would do!! great photos, thanks for sharing.

7. January 5th, 2008 at 2:04 am

Tracey says:

Wowsers. Just beeeeeautiful! I especially love the middle photo, all those layers of wave. I bet it sounded fabulous crashing and smashing about like that!

8. January 5th, 2008 at 4:49 am

Karen says:

How lucky to have found your gorgeous and delicious blog. I love the photos of those amazing waves. Such a wonderful blog you have here. So glad to have found you…I will add this to my favorites to read. Karen

9. January 5th, 2008 at 2:45 pm

lorraine@italianfoodies says:

Fabulous pictures Kieren, I agree completely about Kerry, it’s so beautiful!!! I’m biased anyway cos me “ma” is from there:) Haven’t been to Killarney in a while but will def check out this restaurant next time I’m down that way!! Happy New Year!!

10. January 5th, 2008 at 5:13 pm

Tracy says:

Those pictures are beautiful.

11. January 7th, 2008 at 11:31 am

rickyb says:

Having surfed that beach I understand why its worth battling with nature to get out there even if the waves are knocking you back.
    Do you have a flickr account for all your beautiful pictures as I am sure they look even more impressive at full size?

12. January 8th, 2008 at 7:38 pm

I do have a flickr account, but I haven’t put up big sized images. Must get around it it…

13. January 23rd, 2008 at 5:13 pm

Diarmuid says:

Boy ..would I like to be walking on that beach with a chocolate ice cream this evening..hmmm.

14. January 26th, 2008 at 4:19 am

Me says:

Hi guys!
    I really like that picture of the sun!
    Do any of you speak Gaelic? Isn’t Ireland beautiful?

15. May 9th, 2008 at 4:26 am

Karen says:

OMG, if I saw that ocean in person, I would faint. How gorgeous, and how blessed you are to walk it’s shores. Karen