Warm Lime Meringue Mousse

Lime Meringue Mousse The idea for this this tasty dessert came originally from the New Basics Cookbook, but I have modified the recipe (for starters, it uses lemons, and the method and ingredients are different here). Anyway, it’s a light and fluffy dessert that always goes down a storm…

Warm Lime Meringue Mousse

Ingredients:

Eggs and Limes60g Butter
150ml Fresh Lime Juice
Zest of Two Limes (finely zested)
200g Sugar
5 Eggs

What to Do:

1. Put the 100g of the sugar along with the butter, lime zest, and lime juice in a saucepan and cook over low heat until all the ingredients are melted together. Allow to cool slightly.

2. Separate the eggs.

3. Beat the egg yolks into the lime/sugar/butter mixture.

4. Cook over low heat, stirring all the time, until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon. (Do not let it boil, or you will have scrambled eggs with lime!). Remove from the heat.

5. Whip the egg whites until they form soft peaks. Add the rest of the sugar and beat until they are stiff and glossy.

6. Fold half the egg whites into the lime custard, stirring gently until they are combined.

Lime Mousse7. Pour into 6 ramekins.

8. Carefully spoon the rest of the egg whites to the half-full ramekins, so that the egg white is on top of the custard as a top layer.

9. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180C for 15-20 minutes, until they are golden in colour.

10. Serve immediately!

This has gone to Helene at Tartelette as part of her HHDD mousse party…

Technorati tags: , , , , ,

18 Responses to “Warm Lime Meringue Mousse”

1. April 14th, 2007 at 1:54 pm

Julian says:

That sounds like a terrific recipe: do-able, needs enough care to give the feeling of really cooking, not too sweet, not a cliché, simple, good ingredients. I will make me this soon. Thanks in advance for the pleasure.

2. April 14th, 2007 at 5:56 pm

Helen says:

What a great and different recipe. It went directly into my recipe box. I am very glad you participated.

3. April 15th, 2007 at 5:55 am

Ann says:

Check out Cold Molds. Just saw owner on Dessert Expo Las Vegas on a NY programme. This dude sells moulded ice cream from a boat, don’t know if website explains this, but is interesting.

4. April 15th, 2007 at 2:51 pm

Thanks, guys!

5. April 15th, 2007 at 9:16 pm

brian says:

Sounds delicious. I’ve always wondered about what modifications are required when substituting limes for lemons. Can you share anything specific you did to accommodate the substitution? I assume it isn’t 1:1 swap. I have a lemon bar recipe that I would love to try with limes, maybe a more graham cracker-y crust with it.

6. April 16th, 2007 at 9:47 am

Actually, I don’t know of anything scientific, but I think an even swap would be close. So much of it depends on your own preferences. In this case, each time I made it, I adjusted that amount of lime until it tasted good to me…

7. April 16th, 2007 at 9:21 pm

Linda, The Village Vegetable says:

woah – how innovative. can’t wait to try this one and it doesn’t seem too difficult (last words…) thanks for the recipe.

8. April 24th, 2007 at 10:26 pm

Shawnda says:

Lime mousse – what a neat idea! I’m typically looking for chocolate when it comes to a dessert, but this sounds absolutely delish!

9. April 25th, 2007 at 3:04 am

joey says:

What an interesting mousse! And I love the way they look :)

10. April 25th, 2007 at 3:30 am

barbara says:

Very innovative Mousse Keiran. Thanks for joining in at Hay Hay Its Donna Day

11. April 25th, 2007 at 7:20 am

arfi says:

I can’t wait for our lime to be ready. I’d love to try your version. Sounds wonderful!

12. April 25th, 2007 at 9:42 am

A Foodie Froggy in Paris says:

Your recipe is awesome !I really have to try it !

13. April 25th, 2007 at 1:25 pm

cheryl says:

What a tremendous idea. The lime with the meringue, fantastic.

14. April 25th, 2007 at 7:29 pm

kellypea says:

This is completely a keeper and I can’t wait to make it. Mother’s Day — definitely.

15. April 26th, 2007 at 12:21 pm

Thanks a million, everybody, and to Helene for putting this on!

16. April 26th, 2007 at 10:06 pm

Dolores says:

I LOVE this idea — it would be a lovely ending to a Mother’s Day or bridal shower celebration.

17. April 26th, 2007 at 11:44 pm

Deborah says:

This looks so refreshing! I want to try this!

18. April 30th, 2007 at 9:57 am

Julian says:

I wasn’t able to give this my undivided attention when I tried it last night, so I made some mistakes and some spur-of-the-moment improvisations – but the result was very tasty! I know the brief this time was for a mousse, but I think another day I might throw some cream in, and make a lime custard with meringue topping.