Part of Slea Head Drive Closed

Slea Head Drive Following the news of the collapse of part of Slea Head Drive, I headed out to Dunquin this afternoon to check it out. The road is still intact but closed to traffic since cracks have appeared after the landslide. They are already building a new stretch of road, which should be open in a few weeks if things to well, which is important to all the businesses in the area. In the mean time, diversions are in place…

Technorati tags: , , ,

8 Responses to “Part of Slea Head Drive Closed”

1. April 12th, 2007 at 2:23 pm

John Corbett says:

Hi,

My wife and I will be traveling by cab from Dingle to the Ole Pier Inn on April 24th. Will we be able yo gert there from Dingle since it’s out on the peninsula?

Thanks,
    John Corbett from St. Louis, USA

2. April 12th, 2007 at 5:27 pm

Definitely yes! It’s only one small stretch of the road that is closed, and there’s no problem at all getting out to your inn… Safe trip!

3. April 12th, 2007 at 5:45 pm

Laura says:

Hi Kieran,
    Just got back from your neck of the woods, didn’t get to see “the crack”, as I heard it called while I was there. Ate plenty of ice-cream though (and a little cake) and got to meet Sean (my little one was thrilled because she had seen him on your last video!) and your dad. Looking forward to the summer and a longer stay!

4. April 18th, 2007 at 10:50 pm

Joe Christofori says:

Hi so where about is this Im guessing but Im thinking its there area about 1/4 mile- 1/2 mile before the boat launch.
    Is that correct?
    Could you send me some more pictures if you have any?
    thanks Joe

5. April 19th, 2007 at 9:04 am

That’s just about right. I think the new road is going ahead very quickly and should be done soon.

6. April 28th, 2007 at 7:36 pm

MikeTheBee says:

The road is now fully open albeit on a temporary diversion. The quality and speed with which it was built by the council has delighted both visitors and locals alike!

7. August 13th, 2007 at 1:53 pm

Jenny says:

Hi there,

I’m writing a paper on the changes that have been observed in sea level and sea temperature around Ireland as part of a Met Eireann/UCD research project on regional climate change. I was wondering if I could use your photo in the paper as an example of coastal erosion. Did you take it yourself? The paper will be part of a Met Eireann report and will be submitted to the journal ‘Irish Geography’, so if I may use it, I need to know who to acknowledge and if there are any copyright issues.

Thanks. Nice photo!

Jenny

8. August 13th, 2007 at 6:38 pm

It is my photo, Jenny, and as such is under copyright. You’re welcome to use it as long as you credit it as follows:

Photograph: Kieran Murphy, Ice Cream Ireland.

Best of luck with your paper!