New Words – Polski Sklep

Polski Sklep Shop Dingle There are mixed feelings in Ireland about the recent influx of immigration from foreign parts. I have to say I don’t share those mixed feelings. For me, it’s a good thing. After all, historically we had more of a problem with people leaving than in coming, and it’s great to see that we have the jobs not only to keep our own here, but to attract others as well. There is a need for labour, especially in the service industry. Although we always try to hire Irish when we can, we have had some excellent non-Irish team members from the EU and further afield and have been grateful for their service.

What really makes me excited, though, is the accompanying influx of cultural and culinary influences. Asian Market KillarneyWant some Polish pickles, sausages, or herring? There has been an explosion of Polish shops, and even Dingle has one now.

Craving galangal, fresh lemon grass, exotic noodles, extra hot chilli peppers, or African spices? There is probably an Asian market near you (Killarney has a great one).

It is such a joy to peruse offerings that, until recently, one could have only dreamed about. I suggest a visit for anyone who wants to broaden their culinary horizons. For me, always looking for ice cream ideas, it is an inspiration…

Technorati tags: , , , , ,

8 Responses to “New Words – Polski Sklep”

1. February 8th, 2007 at 11:00 am

Jenny@wheresthesalt says:

I agree Kieran, it’s great to see such an abundance of new food treats.

I need to get braver about just buying stuff I have no idea how to cook though. I saw pierogi for sale recently and was tempted to buy them, but my Polish isn’t up to scratch so I chickened out. Should probably start off making them from scratch myself I suppose.

I still remember being blown away tasting borscht and pierogis in New York about 10 years ago. It seemed so exotic to my Irish meat & 2 veg palate! IT’s great that our kids will grow up with a much wider perspective.

2. February 9th, 2007 at 12:51 pm

It is amazing how almost none of the labeling in these shops in in English. However, I’ve found the staff generally helpful if you take an interest. Best of luck with the pierogis! (There is a thread on them in eGullet with recipes and tips which might be some help)…

3. February 10th, 2007 at 7:56 pm

serena says:

what does polski sklep mean especially sklep i see it on shop windows.corner shops and off licences

4. February 10th, 2007 at 8:15 pm

It means shop (store).

5. February 13th, 2007 at 2:49 pm

Jenny@wheresthesalt says:

Thanks for the tip Kieran – I’ve no excuse now! :o )

6. May 5th, 2007 at 4:10 pm

dublin says:

Just wondering why you try to employ Irish people? The mix of nationalities in your Dingle shop seems to work very well. Surely the more diverse the mixture, the more sources of inspiration for new recipies?

7. May 26th, 2007 at 12:00 pm

Rob says:

i go to some polish shops in dublin now and then..some aren’t exactly packed with the nicest staff…there’s a very nice one on talbot street..though i made the unfortunate mistake of talking to my friend in basic polish and the cashier mistook me to for being polish and started asking me random jargin!! i was like ….crap! ^_^

8. January 13th, 2008 at 8:10 am

mikolaj says:

well
    pierogi is quite easy to prepare. boil the water with piece of salt. put pierogi slowly into boiling water, boil till pierogi go up and become soft. take it out from water.
    now serving : it depends what filling is inside.
    meat,cabbage,cheese+ onion- fry some bacon crumbs( best smoked) and onion rings- serv with crumb and onion
    friuts/softcheese sweet – best results serv with cream and sugar.

dont afraid to ask staff for an advice – they should speak english.
    i am polish anyway.