Cardamom Honey Ice Cream

Honey Cardamom Moroccan Ice Cream This time last year, I was preparing to take two weeks holiday in Morocco. And what a lovely two weeks it was. In fact, this year, I am feeling nostalgic for the desert. Or was it dessert?

Most Moroccan desserts use a combination of the following flavours – almond, honey, cardamom and rose. I decided to make an ice cream using two of the above. I think it is quite a special flavour. Here it is:

Murphys Cardamom Honey Ice Cream
1 Cup (237ml) Sugar
5 Egg Yolks
1 1/8 Cups (266ml) Cream
1 1/8 Cups(266ml) Milk
2 tbs. (10g) Ground Cardamom
3 tbs. (65g) Honey

Yield: 6 Servings

What to do:

1. Beat the sugar and egg yolks together until thick and pale yellow.

2. Bring the milk to a simmer.

3. Beat the milk into the eggs and sugar in a slow stream.

4. Pour the mixture back into pan and place over low heat. Stir until the custard thickens slightly (around 70C). Use a thermometer, as at 75C the eggs will scramble!

Honey Cardamom Ice Cream5. Stir in the honey and cardamom.

6. Refrigerate over night.

7. Pass the mix through a fine sieve to remove the cardamom bits.

8. Whip the cream.

9. Gently fold in the custard.

10. Freeze using a domestic ice cream machine, or cover and place in the freezer.

Notes:

1. Since it’s a mostly cold extraction with the cardamom, it will need a bit of time, so that’s why I have the mix rest over night.

2. To pasteurise the eggs, heat the custard to 73C and keep at that temperature for three minutes. Use a cooking thermometer, though, and keep stirring! If the custard goes any higher than 76C, the eggs will scramble. Immediately cover and place in the freezer until cool.

This is going off to Meeta as part of her Monthly Mingle

Technorati tags: , , , ,

14 Responses to “Cardamom Honey Ice Cream”

1. February 7th, 2007 at 5:01 pm

Meeta says:

A lovely contribution and a wonderful combination of flavors. Kieran thanks for bringing this over to the MM!

2. February 8th, 2007 at 2:09 am

Bob says:

I live in New Orleans and recently came across your website while searching for ice cream recipes. The first of yours that I plan to make is Rum Raisin, but I have a question about a couple of the steps involved. Could you clarify a bit the steps where I am supposed to whip the cream and then mix it into the custard? Should I use a mixer or whip them by hand? How soft or firm should the peaks be? Also, how careful should I be when folding the cream into the custard? I await your response and my first attempt at your recipes!

3. February 8th, 2007 at 2:36 pm

Sheila says:

That looks like a piece of Louis Mulcahy pottery the scoop is sitting on? Read the blog often, and am hoping to get back to Dingle sometime soon – and will make you one of my first stops in town. The one thing I really missed when I used to visit every year was my coffee, and now, life will be complete! Coffee and Ice Cream – woohoo!

4. February 9th, 2007 at 12:44 pm

You’re right, Bob, I should be more specific:
    Whip the cream in an electric mixer on medium speed to soft peak stage (it will take longer mixing it on medium, but it will be more robust). You can also whip it by hand, which will be the same difference. Fold it in carefully into the custard. If you mix it too much you will get rid of the air whipped in the cream. Combine the cream and custard in a bowl and scrape from the side into the centre with a spatula, turning the bowl until they are combined… Maybe this is a whole post for the future. Let me know how you get on!

And Sheila – good eye! You got the pottery right. It’s actually a vase, but I liked it because I thought it kind of looked like a pedestal!

5. February 12th, 2007 at 6:59 pm

Sarah says:

Hi there. Love your blog. I made this ice cream this weekend, and it remained at soft serve (pretty much). It never hardened properly. If you had to venutre a guess, is this the fault of the honey or the whipped cream?

Also, is it two teaspoons or two tablespoons of cardamom? One of my roommates thinks it’s *way* too cardamommy. (I like the taste, though.)

Finally, would you use a mild or strong honey in this? I used a strong one (from Utah desert flowers or something) and quite like it.

6. February 13th, 2007 at 12:11 pm

Thanks, Sarah! It’s great to have your feedback. The honey will soften it slightly, but it should get hard. I’m puzzled. As for the cardamom – I love the taste, so I pile it in. However, if it’s powdered, then the taste will probably be to strong. As for honey, I love the taste, so I’d also be inclined to use a strong one, but I’m sure there is no right answer on that one…

7. November 1st, 2007 at 2:08 am

Graeme says:

i stumbled on this site…. and just thought i would say i grew up on Golden north honey icecream in named Laura a small town nothern South Australia..in the southern Flinders rangers

i loved it… the factory was taken over and merged with other products for several yearsi think mid 19 70.s..to the mid 90.s… recently some smart business men bought and reinvigortaed the factory and its products…. and im led to believe sales are booming near and far in australia….Can be purchases in 2 litre container from grocery store.

you will fdind here a story but no mention of the famous honey flavor http://www.nationaltrustsa.org.au/heritage_icons_2006.htm

8. November 25th, 2007 at 3:29 am

Lisa says:

I’m making this recipe today (yes, always last minute, eh?), and I had a question for you. You say 2 tbp (10g) cardamom, so I assume you mean teaspoon (tsp)?

But then 3tbp (65g) honey, so I assume you mean tablespoon (tbsp)? Could you confirm my guesses or clarify this for me?

9. November 25th, 2007 at 3:30 am

Lisa says:

Or maybe I’ll just go with the weight measurements and figure it out later.

10. November 25th, 2007 at 6:03 pm

Lisa – it is two tablespoons. The reason for the difference is that honey weighs a lot more than cardamom! Hope it works out for you!

11. November 30th, 2007 at 11:31 am

Queltydet says:

Fat Loss Tip #3 – Do not eliminate fat from your diet.

12. September 1st, 2010 at 8:19 am

Sarah says:

Made this ice cream last weekend. It’s really, really lovely. You do need a fine sieve for the cardomom custard though.

I think I’d probably cut down on the amount of honey slightly. Use the best quality honey that you can afford. It’ll make a massive difference.

13. September 18th, 2010 at 4:38 pm

Cardamom and Honey Ice Cream | Braisin' Hussy says:

[...] Cardamom and Honey Ice Cream Posted on August 13, 2007 by braisinhussy (adapted from Ice Cream Ireland‘s recipe) [...]

14. September 18th, 2010 at 5:00 pm

Braisin' Hussy says:

[...] Sunday I made honey-cardamom ice cream. I think it’s wonderful, although I’m guessing that I added a little too much honey, [...]