Mulled Wine Sorbet

Mulled Wine Sorbet The excellent Ard Bia Cafe in Galway asked for a mulled wine sorbet for their Christmas menu, so I set about making it. It’s quite a nice flavour, and if you’re looking for a holiday ice cream to add spice to a meal, give it a go!

The easiest way to make it is to use left-over mulled wine (stir 350gm sugar into 950ml mulled wine until dissolved, allow to cool, freeze), but if you don’t have that kind of restraint, here’s a recipe from scratch:

Murphys Mulled Wine Sorbet

Ingredients:

360 gr Sugar
600 ml Spring Water
350 ml Red Wine (I used Merlot)
225 ml Fresh Orange Juice
Juice of half a lemon
2 Cloves
1 tablesp. Cinnamon
1/2 teasp. Nutmeg

Yield: 8 Servings

What to do:

1. Combine the sugar, water, wine and spices and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally for about 1/2 hour, maintaining at a low simmer.

2. Strain to remove the cloves.

3. Cool completely.

Mulled Wine Sorbet Closeup4. Stir in the orange juice and lemon.

5. Freeze using a domestic ice cream machine, or cover and place in the freezer, stirring at 1 hr intervals to break up the ice.

6. Remove from freezer and allow to thaw four about 15 minutes before freezing.

7. Serve garnished with a slice of orange.

Notes:

1. It’s hard to make sorbet without an ice cream machine. You will need to interrupt the freezing process and stir, or you will be left with a block of ice! The more times you do this, the better the consistency will be.

2. I think it looks well served in small wine glasses.

Technorati tags: , , , ,

7 Responses to “Mulled Wine Sorbet”

1. December 8th, 2006 at 10:49 pm

simon says:

Very smansy

2. December 9th, 2006 at 2:32 pm

Helen says:

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I love anything ice cream and I usually have some everyday (keeps the doctor away).
    I really like your recipe for mulled wine sorbet, never had it before and I am very tempted to try it this weekend. Thanks for sharing so many good recipes!

3. November 24th, 2007 at 1:15 pm

simon says:

I made this last Christmas. very easy to make and very yummy. Takes a while to set though of course but quick and easy. I know not great blog post but hey :)

4. November 18th, 2008 at 2:01 pm

eastcoast says:

Hi. graet article.
    Cheers, Peter

5. November 27th, 2009 at 1:35 pm

Ice Cream Ireland » Blog Archive » Master Class at Food and Wine Fair says:

[...] Mulled wine sorbet [...]

6. December 14th, 2009 at 6:38 am

Anyone for a mulled wine sorbet? « The Evening Hérault says:

[...] crew also came up with a mulled wine sorbet recipe after a Galway cafe asked for it for its Christmas menu. Here’s my simplified [...]

7. July 24th, 2010 at 2:42 pm

Ron Henry says:

Looks good, I will definitely be trying it. I just had wine-a-ritas over the weekend and really enjoyed. I will be blogging about wine-a-ritas soon.

AggieRon