Wanted: More Irish Food Bloggers

It’s amazing how few food blogs there still are in Ireland. As far as I know, these are the sum total of blogs dealing primarily with food or drink (excluding myself, of course):

Bibliocook, Bubble Brothers, Conor O’Neill, Diet Cast, Martin Dwyer, Random Grub, Ummera, Where’s the Salt.

Am I missing any? Why aren’t there more?

Technorati tags: , , ,

17 Responses to “Wanted: More Irish Food Bloggers”

1. November 19th, 2006 at 7:27 pm

Conor O'Neill says:

Can’t write, too busy eating ;-)

I’d include PodChef in the Irish category, I don’t know if he would.

Looking at my food subs in Google Reader, I also have:

Kevin Thornton (rarely posts): foodforlife.thorntonsrestaurant.com/foodforlife/
    Funky Foods(ditto): http://www.funkiefoods.com
    Haydn Shaughnessy’s “The Diet Cast”: http://www.thedietcast.com
    Martin Dwyer (no blummin RSS feed): martindwyer.com/m/words.php

Haydn’s “My Diet Friends” (www.mydietfriends.com)allows people to set up food-blogs. Looks like it’ll be a great site.

2. November 19th, 2006 at 7:40 pm

Myra says:

Check this one:

3. November 19th, 2006 at 9:31 pm

keith bohanna says:

You are right Kieran – and it is a great shame. I know at least 2 food businesses who would translate so well into bloggers – with the same passion and talents that you bring to yours.

Stepping up a level your relatively short list would also reflect the small numbers in any grouping outside of the core techie and political subjects that dominate the blogging space at the moment. Time will see that change.

keith

4. November 20th, 2006 at 2:21 pm

Thanks for that, especially Keith for the chocolate link (it’s on the cupcakes post)!

5. November 21st, 2006 at 1:17 pm

Jenny@wheresthesalt says:

Isn’t it curious how most of the Irish food bloggers are either Munster based, or have some kind of Munster connection?

John McKenna quoted in the Irish Times at the weekend said the arrival of “Venu” and “Fallon & Byrne” in Dublin means that Dublin has claimed the title of Culinary Capital of Ireland from Cork.

Sounds like a red rag to Cork bulls, but if that’s the case, maybe we’ll see more Dubs food blogging soon!

6. November 21st, 2006 at 6:23 pm

Hmmm. That is interesting. Up Munster!

7. November 22nd, 2006 at 8:57 am

Jessica says:

She is not a food writer, but Shenanigans is an expat living and writing from Ireland…so at least it’s from Ireland.

8. November 22nd, 2006 at 5:03 pm

Caroline@Bibliocook says:

Just found another one, Munster-based again! http://www.organico.ie is a shop, cafe and bakery in Bantry. If you poke around a little, there seems to be some nice recipes there and a very tempting autumn/winter menu. Incidentally, Kieran, I was in contact with Ruth from Uru and she tells me that their Mallow shop is opening on 8 December…looking forward to that!

9. November 22nd, 2006 at 5:36 pm

That’s a great one, Caroline. Thanks! Yeah, we’re also looking forward to their new shop. I can’t wait to pay it a visit…

10. November 25th, 2006 at 6:55 pm

Julian says:

I’m going to send a circular to as many people in the wine business (importers, journalists, &c. &c.) as I or the Golden Pages can think of and just see if I can get one or two others started, or at least aware/commenting. A busy time of year I know, but perhaps they’ll think about it over the hols.

11. November 26th, 2006 at 1:05 am

Sarah says:

Hello out there!! I write a food blog and I’m Irish but unfortunately have been whisked away to England, does that count?

please check it out I need to feel that I’m not just rambling madly to myself ;-)

Love your blog by the way.

12. November 26th, 2006 at 4:20 pm

Definitely counts in my book. Keep it up and thanks!

13. December 8th, 2006 at 11:27 am

Valerie O'Connor says:

Hi There
    I am a food blogger in Dublin. I have been quietly tipping away as I didn’t want to start shouting about something I wouldn’t continue. I have a consistant readership and as soon as I can get rid of the .typapad from my name all will be great.
    Regards
    Val

14. December 8th, 2006 at 1:41 pm

Delighted to have another one, and yours looks very good indeed! Keep it up!

15. March 4th, 2007 at 4:18 pm

Elana says:

We have a foodie blog, but need to start posting again. I also post some food things on http://www.overacupoftea.com.

16. January 8th, 2008 at 1:24 pm

Brian says:

The Italian Foodies blog is fantastic – I’ve made a lot of stuff from it! The author is Limerick based and runs an Italian deli.

17. March 2nd, 2008 at 6:38 pm

Colette says:

Here in Boston there’s a great interest in New Irish Cuisine. Since 2005 we have been inviting over Irish chefs (fourteen to date) each March to cook in some of the city’s best hotels, alongside great Boston chefs like Michael Schlow, Barbara Lynch and Ming Tsai. The culinary exchange and opportunity to share techniques, traditions and styles of cooking is a great life to Ireland’s quickly ascending reputaton as a food destination.

This year we have chefs coming from Dublin, Belfast, Halifax and Orlando (the late Rose Kennedy’s personal chef, Neil Connolly) the week of March 9-17. See details at http://www.irishmassachusetts.com and our blog at http://irishmassachusetts.blogspot.com/