I wrote here about ice cream cakes, and I’ve been playing with a meringue base for them. We have excess egg whites from making our ice cream, so it makes sense. Besides, it would make the ice cream cakes gluten-free.
Meringues are not hard to make, and they are a great treat. Whether on their own or as a nest for another dessert (as in with the raspberry sorbet in the photo above), they are a real crowd-pleaser. I like them with a little hint of lemon.
Murphys Meringues Recipe
4 large egg whites
300gm (1.5 cup) sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tablespoon lemon juice
What to Do
- Preheat the oven to 140C.
- Butter a large baking sheet.
- Beat the egg whites (if using an electric mixer, do this at medium speed rather than high speed, which will take a bit longer but give the meringues more strength) until fairly stiff.
- Beat in the sugar in a slow stream, and then add the vanilla and lemon, mixing all the time.
- Beat until very stiff and shiny.
- Using two spoons, place on the baking sheet. It should make 10 large meringues, so divide accordingly.
- You can shape them as you wish!
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Cool on wire racks.
Note: If you want to make nests, the easiest way is with a piping bag. Start in the centre, work out in a tight spiral, then build up the sides…