Ice Cream and Alcohol

Vanilla and Kahlua¬†For me alcohol and ice cream are natural companions. If it wasn’t for the licensing laws in the country, I would love to be able to serve alcohol over ice cream (not to mention with coffees) for the customers in our shops. Alas, that is not to be!

However, it is not illegal to do it at home, and it makes a very adult and heady dessert. You can either pour in some booze first and then add the ice cream or simply serve a shot over the ice cream as you would a sauce.

Kahlua Vanilla 2The Top Ten Combinations that come to my head are:

1. Chocolate ice cream with Cointreau

2. Coffee ice cream with Baileys

3. Vanilla ice cream with Kahlua

4. Mango sorbet with tequila (I favour Sauza) and a bit of lime

5. Raspberry sorbet with Vodka (A good brand like Grey Goose)

6. Cognac with almost anything

7. Blackcurrant sorbet with Guinness

8. Chocolate with whiskey (Irish whiskey is great since it’s not over-powering).

9. Pear, peach, strawberry, or black currant sorbet with champagne.

10. Port with just about anything.

I’m sure you can think of many more!

Technorati tags: , , , ,

7 Responses to “Ice Cream and Alcohol”

1. August 10th, 2006 at 3:55 am

Keesha says:

This looks so freaking good. I made Kahula Coffee Brownies with Bailey’s Frosting a few weeks back and they were so good. I love your combinations. The other day I made a straweberry gelato with Limoncello and that was yummy. I can’t wait to try some of your suggestions!

2. August 15th, 2006 at 6:25 am

Keesha says:

Okay, I’m not a stalker, but I tried the mango/tequilla combination this weekend and it was sooo good. We decided to not pair an anajo (aged), but younger bottle. It was great. I highly recommend it.

3. August 15th, 2006 at 12:50 pm

Cool. My latest post about the banana strawberry daiquiri was actually a follow on to a frozen mango margharita I made for a staff party. It was lovely, with a bit of Cointreau tossed in for good measure…

4. August 17th, 2006 at 3:33 pm

Deirdre says:

I was lucky enough to be there to sample the frozen mango margharita and was fantastic! What about the following desert which I had at Nella’s in Ascona, Switzerland years ago:

chocolate chip mint ice cream
    chocolate sauce
    grapa
    a mint leaf
    and an After Eight

I think that was all in it. Tastes great

5. August 22nd, 2006 at 8:24 pm

Cory says:

I tried an “Adult Sundae” at the restaurant I work at and it went over with flying colours.

In a chilled martini glass, line the inside with a half a shot of creme de cacao. Add a scoop of vanilla ice cream and drizzle kahlua over top. Then, top with some whipped cream and drizzle bailey’s over it. Garnish with a cherry and a cinnamon stick.

We charged 12 dollars for it (I’m in Canada)… my boss loves me.

6. August 23rd, 2006 at 2:50 pm

Excellent! We also made some extra-alcoholic ice cream for a restaurant and their customers loved it. There’s definitely a market there!

7. November 28th, 2006 at 10:27 pm

Sarah says:

I have made a chocolate and Amaretto ice cream, had Amaretto with vanilla ice cream and pear & almond crumble and spiced stewed plums with vanilla ice cream and Cointreau. Frangelico would be nice over chocolate ice cream too but haven’t tried it.