Guinness Ice Cream

Guinness Cans

Easter has been crazy busy in the shops, much more so than expected, and I had to make an emergency run of ice cream today. We ran out of several flavours, so I was up bright and early getting the mix ready and then freezing.

Besides the main flavours, I decided to do a Guinness ice cream, to have another Irish flavour in the cabinet. The recipe is below. Of course, being me, I couldn’t resist throwing in some chocolate chips. You don’t have to!

Murphys Guinness Ice Cream
3L of Guinness1 Cup (237ml) Sugar
5 Egg Yolks
1 1/8 Cups (266ml) Cream
1 1/8 Cups(266ml) Milk
500 ml Guinness
A handful of dark chocolate chips.

Yield: 6 Servings

1. Measure out 100ml of Guinness and set aside.

2. Boil the remaining 400ml Guinness until it reduces to 100ml in volume. Cool.

3. Beat the sugar and egg yolks together until thick and pale yellow.

4. Bring the milk to a simmer.

Cup of Chocolate Chips5. Beat the milk into the eggs and sugar in a slow stream.

6. Pour the mixture back into pan and place over low heat. Stir until the custard thickens slightly (around 70C). Use a thermometer, as at 75C the eggs will scramble!

7. Allow the custard to cool.

8. Stir in both the reduced and non-reduced Guinness.

9. Whip the cream.

10. Gently fold in the custard.

11. Freeze using a domestic ice cream machine, or cover and place in the freezer.

Notes:

Guinness Ice Cream1. I haven’t made this recipe for home use, so I would love any feedback if you try it!

2. The photo of 3 litres of Guinness is what I used. Don’t pay any attention to the volume!

3. I combine reduced and non-reduced Guinness because using just reduced loses a bit of freshness in terms of flavour.

4. You don’t have to use the chocolate chips of course, but I do think Guinness and chocolate go well together. You could also use this as a companion to a chocolate cake.

Technorati tags: , , , , ,

17 Responses to “Guinness Ice Cream”

1. April 27th, 2006 at 1:53 am

Anne de Villeray says:

OMG. I’ve already made breads and cakes with Guinness, but ice cream!? I HAVE to try.

2. December 21st, 2006 at 12:33 pm

simon says:

How about using Murphy’s instead of Guinness. Could have Murphy’s Murphys Ice cream

3. December 21st, 2006 at 2:39 pm

That does have a certain ring to it!

4. March 12th, 2007 at 4:46 am

Shay says:

Thank you for sharing your recipes. I had the pleasure of visiting Murphy’s in Dingle (from the US) the day you opened after winter break. While my friends were sick of hearing me talk about the Bailey’s Ice Cream when I came home, they sure appreciated it and understood my raving when I made some for them.

Secondly, what size eggs do you use in the recipe? I am making the Guinness Ice Cream, but it seems like the egg yolks (from size large eggs) are having a hard time taking all of the sugar. Are you using a different size?

Thanks!

5. March 12th, 2007 at 2:19 pm

Thanks, Shay, and I’m delighted you made it into our shop.

That’s a good point about the eggs. We use large eggs, but even then the yolks do vary. In general though, the yolks will take the sugar with enough mixing…

6. June 4th, 2007 at 5:37 am

Tracy says:

Made the Guinness ice cream at home today and it was amazing. I added about about 100ml more Guinness straight from the bottle (right before freezing the custard) to cut the sweetness a bit and… oh boy, heaven. Thank you so much for your wonderful recipes and love of ice cream. I will make this one again very soon!

7. December 25th, 2007 at 8:17 am

Mark says:

Thank you for posting this. We made it ysterday and tasted it today (Christmas), and find it one of the finest ice creams we have ever had.

8. June 23rd, 2009 at 5:39 am

Adam says:

So it was bloody warm and humid out there as I was browsing around various blogs based in Ireland when came across yours. Imagine my surprise when I stumbled upon a recipee for making ice cream with Guiness ! Question, how does one who does not have a domestic ice cream machine compensate for the aire needed to make ice cream as part of the mixing process ? Don’t tell me the delicious Guiness is so versatile I could overlook the mixing process as the mixture cools down ? Thanks !

9. June 23rd, 2009 at 4:47 pm

Whipping the cream helps with that!

10. June 25th, 2009 at 4:17 am

Adam says:

haaa…semifreddo ice cream. cool thanks Kieran !

11. August 6th, 2009 at 1:40 am

Pat Murphy says:

I’ve always said Guinness tasted like liquid Ice Cream – just got an ice cream maker and will give this a whirl this weekend! Thanks for the recipe!
    Pat

12. October 21st, 2009 at 2:15 am

Ben R says:

From my experience, I don’t use any eggs. Instead I substitute the eggs with Xanthan Gum. You don’t get the custard egg flavor and Xanthan also helps to trap air and prevent crystalization…it’s a no brainer.

13. June 13th, 2010 at 3:51 pm

Pascual, Kaiku, Lauki, Celta, Puleva… | Un Lagarto Abuhardillado says:

[...] os dejo, que quiero hacer un intento de [...]

14. February 9th, 2011 at 12:10 am

Irischer Abend | Stromgedanken says:

[...] und als Nachtisch Guinness Eis [...]

15. March 5th, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Publicity As An Ingredient In Product Development at Piaras Kelly PR - Public Relations in Ireland says:

[...] despite being a tiny player in the sector compared to HB or Ben & Jerry. With flavours like Guinness ice cream, they are bound to generate talkability. The food sector always throws up lots of examples in this [...]

16. July 16th, 2011 at 5:17 am

Vogy says:

Just made the recipe and it turned out great. Adding the whipped cream definitely gives it an ‘airier’ texture like the head on Guinness.

17. March 28th, 2012 at 11:53 pm

Bernadette says:

Terrific!! This ice cream is very smooth and creamy, delicious with a nice flavor from the Guinness. I made some for my own local ice cream man from Galway and he loved it. I think the whipped cream definitely adds a nice light texture to it. Simple, pure ingredients and an excellent result, thank you so very much for sharing!