Elderflower ‘Champagne’ Sorbet

We sold out of this sorbet in two days at the Bloom festival in Dublin. It turned out really well and was featured in the Irish Times Magazine today, so I thought the least I could do was post a recipe for anyone who might have been disappointed and might wish to make it themselves.

Elderflower ‘champagne’ sorbet is a dessert gourmet enough to wow any foodie friends. Its taste also seems to evoke an emotional response of nostalgia, of foods once tasted and of carefree summers past. Gather friends together over a dish, and the conversation is likely to turn to forgotten memories and sunny days ahead.

I have posted a recipe for elderflower champagne here.

(And, yes, I know I shouldn’t use the term ‘champagne’ for anything not made in that region of France, but elderflower ‘sparkling wine’ sounds really silly!)

Murphys Elderflower Champagne Sorbet

330 gr sugar
250 ml spring water
500 ml elderflower champagne
75-100 ml lemon juice (to taste)

Yield: 6 Servings

What to do:

1. Boil the water and stir in the sugar, until it is completely dissolved.

2. Cool completely.

3. Stir in the champagne and lemon.

4. Freeze using a domestic ice cream machine, or cover and place in the freezer, stirring at 1 hr intervals to break up the ice.

5. Invite friends over & enjoy!

Technorati tags:

6 Responses to “Elderflower ‘Champagne’ Sorbet”

1. June 4th, 2011 at 10:12 pm

Donna at yumma yumma says:

This recipe looks really yummy and fresh! I’d love to try it sometime. I recently made a Honeysuckle Sorbet from fresh honeysuckle blossoms in my front yard. It turned out really nice. The recipe was somewhat similar to yours.

Here’s a link to my blog…I’d love to have you check it out if you get the chance…

2. June 5th, 2011 at 12:11 am

Suzanne says:

This dessert looks so refreshing … yum!

3. June 7th, 2011 at 10:27 pm

Mise says:

That sounds pretty good. I wonder whether sloe gin sorbet would work well?

4. July 23rd, 2011 at 12:18 pm

Tomato says:

Great! made it, tasted it. thanks

5. February 9th, 2015 at 7:04 pm

Courtney says:

This sorbet looks really light and perfect for a summer occasion. Very simple recipe, yet looks very tasty. I would use a refractometer to measure the sugar content of this sorbet. With the sugar and the champagne, there is always a chance there is to much sugar in the sorbet. If there is to much sugar in the sorbet it will create an icy mouth feel and the sorbet wont be smooth. The proper brix for a sorbet should be between 22-26, if it is above 26 simply add more water to the recipe, if its below then add more sugar.

6. February 9th, 2015 at 7:21 pm

We use brix of 28, but that amount allows a bit of air whipped in to make it lighter.