Earl Grey Tea Ice Cream

Earl Grey Tea Ice Cream Here’s another recipe from the book, and it’s one of my favourites. I tasted it first at an ice cream shop in Boston, and I didn’t expect to like it half as well as I did. Now, as I play around with the ice cream and learn more about chemistry, I know that the tannins in tea cut sweetness. Earl Grey tea generally has a mix of different black teas, including Darjeeling and China tea, but it is the bergamot that really make it distinctive. If you want an adult ice cream that will surprise your guests, this is one to try. It’s especially fantastic with a chocolate cake!

EARL GREY (TAE) ICE CREAM

Earl Grey TeaIngredients:

• 130g + 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 5 egg yolks
  • 240 ml cream
  • 250 ml milk
  • 6 Earl Grey tea bags or the loose leaf equivalent.

What to do:

1. 1. Beat the sugar and egg yolks together until thick and pale yellow.
  2. Bring the milk to a simmer.
  3. Add the tea and allow to sit for 10 minutes.
  4. Bring back to a low simmer, stir, and remove the tea bags.
  5. Beat the milk into the eggs and sugar in a slow stream.
  6. Pour the mixture back into the pan and place over low heat.
  7. Stir continuously until the custard thickens slightly (around 65-70C) and just coats the back of a spoon. Don’t over-heat, though, because at around 76C you will scramble the eggs!
  8. Immediately remove from the heat.
  9. Transfer the custard into a small container, cover, and refrigerate until cool (5C).
  10. Whip the cream until it has doubled in volume (you should have soft peaks – don’t over-whip).
  11. Fold the cream (gently stir) into the custard.
  12. Freeze using a domestic ice cream machine, or cover and place in the freezer, stirring every few hours to break up the ice crystals.
  13. Earl Grey Tea Ice Cream CloseIf you’re using a domestic ice cream machine, transfer to a freezer-proof covered container when the ice cream has achieved a semi-solid consistency (around 15 minutes). Place it in the freezer, and continue to freeze until it is solid.

Yield: 8 servings

Note:

To pasteurise the eggs, heat the custard to 73C and maintain that temperature for at least 5 minutes. Use a cooking thermometer, though, and keep stirring! If the custard goes any higher than 76C, the eggs will scramble. Immediately cover and place in the freezer until cool

Technorati tags: , , ,

9 Responses to “Earl Grey Tea Ice Cream”

1. July 9th, 2008 at 7:48 pm

Haley says:

Hi! We would like to feature this recipe on our blog. Please email haleyglasco@gmail.com if interested. Thanks :)

Haley

2. July 9th, 2008 at 10:39 pm

van says:

Thank you very much for sharing your great ice-cream recipe. I love tea so much and want to try it out soon.
    I have never whipped the cream before pouring into ice-cream machine. I thought this step is just for making by hand without a machine. Could you please tell me what is this step for? Thanks!

3. July 9th, 2008 at 10:55 pm

van says:

Also, how many grams or tablespoon are in 6 bags of Earl Grey tea? I only have a box of 100g Earl Grey.

4. July 10th, 2008 at 11:22 am

kimme @ Irish cottage dreams says:

Ummm!! Sounds good!
    Maybe I can talk hubby into making it for
    me. LOL
    ~kimme

5. July 10th, 2008 at 4:18 pm

Niamh says:

Please please please, can you put this as a special in your Killarney and Dingle shops?

6. July 21st, 2008 at 6:40 am

George@CulinaryTravels says:

I love making this (well a version of it) at dinner parties, just so I can say tea or coffee after dinner ;)

7. July 25th, 2008 at 8:11 pm

Elliot says:

Gosh, Earl Grey has always been one of my favorite teas. Even when I was growing up and my grandparents had some in the afternoon, I found the smell of the tea brewing mesmerizing :) I never even thought that you could make it into ice cream! This I’ll have to try. It makes sense though: if you can make coffee ice cream, why not tea ice cream?

The current ice cream maker I have is getting old, and I was thinking of purchasing a new one. Here’s the site I was looking at: Ice cream Makers

Do you have any suggestions? Thanks :)

8. July 30th, 2008 at 5:26 pm

Polly Peirce says:

Hi Keiran, I love the sound of Earl Grey Icecream. An erstwhile colleague of mine made a mousse from it years ago and it was scrummy! I’ll bet that this is every bit as nice…

When life gets back to normal and the mad rushing around ceases I’ll give this one a go!

9. September 24th, 2012 at 11:33 pm

barleycorn » Tea and biscuits (and ice cream) says:

[...] tea and biscuits, the Anglo/Irish riff on coffee & doughnut ice cream.  I based my attempt on this recipe, but with three changes: first, I swapped the Earl Grey tea for Twinings English Breakfast.  I [...]