Cinnamon Ice Cream

Cinnamon Ice Cream Cinnamon ice cream is a great flavour as we come into winter. It’s a warming spice that counteracts the cold. This ice cream also complements so many desserts. Try it on a warm apple pie!

MURPHYS CINNAMON ICE CREAM

Ingredients:

• Cinnamon Sticks130g Sugar
  • 5 Egg Yolks
  • 220ml Cream
  • 200ml Milk
  • 1 Cinnamon Stick (see note below)

What to do:

1. Put the cinnamon stick in a saucepan with the milk.
  2. Bring the milk to a simmer.
  3. Remove from the heat.
  4. Beat the sugar and egg yolks together until thick and pale yellow.
  5. Remove the cinnamon stick from the milk.
  6. Beat the milk into the eggs and sugar in a slow stream.
  7. Pour the mixture back into pan, and place over low heat.
  8. If you want a strong cinnamon flavour, add the cinnamon stick back in.
  9. Stir until the custard thickens (around 60C).
  10. Remove the cinnamon stick.
  11. Allow the custard to cool.
  12. Whip the cream and fold into the custard.
  13. Freeze using a domestic ice cream machine, or cover and place in the freezer.

Notes:

1. You can substitute 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon for the stick. If you do so, mix it into the sugar before beating in the eggs.

2. You can re-use the cinnamon stick, but make sure you rinse it carefully and let it dry!

Technorati tags: , , ,

10 Responses to “Cinnamon Ice Cream”

1. November 3rd, 2007 at 4:34 am

Frédérique says:

I tasted a fabulous cinnamon ice cream in a little gelateria in Rome, hidden in the maze of streets of the Trastevere. That was 8 years ago, and I haven’t found the flavour anywhere else – even our great little neighbourhood ice cream counter Ripples (in Montréal, Canada), which had really good, adventurous spice flavours and the best ‘chai tea’ ice cream, didn’t do just cinnamon. So thank you. Thank you very much! I will give this a try to celebrate the beginning of summer (after Italy and Canada, I am now in New Zealand, and the warmer days are just beginning).

2. November 4th, 2007 at 1:21 pm

Manuel says:

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM gonna make hot apple juice now

3. November 4th, 2007 at 2:08 pm

Thanks for that, Frédérique! And Manuel, it is the season!

4. November 4th, 2007 at 9:03 pm

Susan says:

Oh, my word, thank you for this!!! I just made the ground cinnamon version and it is spectacular. During the fall festivals in Indiana, there were tents selling apple dumplings and homemade cinnamon ice cream; since we moved out of state, I’ve had no luck finding a good, plain, simple cinnamon ice cream either in the ice cream shoppes or in the grocery stores and I’m going through withdrawal. Now I don’t have to drive 1500 miles to Indiana to get my fix! (And now if I could just find someone who made decent apple dumplings around here…)

5. November 14th, 2007 at 6:58 am

Andrea says:

This is the first of your ice cream recipes I have tried. I was really pleased with the intensity of cinnamon flavour (I used the quill). I am used to ‘tempering’ the egg and sugar mixture with a bit of the hot milk before adding all the milk. That said, it worked well using your method. It also meets my 4 year olds seal of approval!
    Not really apple season in Darwin, Australia but I imagine a wonderful combination.

6. November 14th, 2007 at 7:04 am

Andrea says:

Another thing I noticed you suggested a temp of 60C for the custard in this recipe but I notice that you suggest 70C in the Kahlua ice cream recipe. I heated mine to 66C for the record and it was only starting to coat the back of a spoon.
    I imagine in your book you will have a blanket explanation of basic technique.

7. November 14th, 2007 at 12:00 pm

Thanks for the feedback, Andrea! Much appreciated.

8. December 3rd, 2007 at 6:14 pm

Kitchen Goddess says:

I made this today to serve with spiced baked fruits and it was gorgeous :) I’ve not tasted a cinnamon ice cream so good since I was in Roma last year. Many thanks!

9. June 26th, 2008 at 11:58 am

Cinnamon says:

Make sure that you use real Cinnamon in your recipe and reduce on the sugar.

Most of the Cinnamon sold in the US is actually Cassia.

Please click the link under my name to learn how to identify Cinnamon

10. July 6th, 2008 at 9:10 pm

dee says:

I made this today and threw in 4 mashed up hobnobs towards the end – yuimmy!!