Cinnamon ice cream is a great flavour as we come into winter. It’s a warming spice that counteracts the cold. This ice cream also complements so many desserts. Try it on a warm apple pie!
MURPHYS CINNAMON ICE CREAM
- 130g Sugar
- 5 Egg Yolks
- 220ml Cream
- 200ml Milk
- 1 Cinnamon Stick (see note below)
What to do:
- Put the cinnamon stick in a saucepan with the milk.
- Bring the milk to a simmer.
- Remove from the heat.
- Beat the sugar and egg yolks together until thick and pale yellow.
- Remove the cinnamon stick from the milk.
- Beat the milk into the eggs and sugar in a slow stream.
- Pour the mixture back into pan, and place over low heat.
- If you want a strong cinnamon flavour, add the cinnamon stick back in.
- Stir until the custard thickens (around 60C).
- Remove the cinnamon stick.
- Allow the custard to cool.
- Whip the cream and fold into the custard.
- Freeze using a domestic ice cream machine, or cover and place in the freezer.
1. You can substitute 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon for the stick. If you do so, mix it into the sugar before beating in the eggs.
2. You can re-use the cinnamon stick, but make sure you rinse it carefully and let it dry!