For this week’s column in the Irish Times (in today’s issue), I decided to write about our multicultural staff, especially in our Killarney shop (photo below of some of the team). As part of the piece, I included this recipe for Polish ice cream, given to me by our Killarney shop manager, Sylwia. The test batch was very tasty, if you like fruit and nuts!
Bakaliowe Ice Cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 3/8 cups cream
- 1 1/8 cups milk
- 1/4 vanilla bean, cut lengthwise
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup dried fruits
- 1/2 cup almonds and other nuts
What to do:
- Beat the sugar and egg yolks together until thick and pale yellow.
- Bring the milk to a simmer. Remove from the heat.
- Beat the milk into the eggs and sugar in a slow stream.
- Pour the mixture back into pan, add the vanilla bean and place over low heat.
- Stir until the custard thickens (around 70C).
- Immediately remove from the heat, and place in the refrigerator until cool.
- Remove the vanilla bean.
- Stir in the fruits and nuts.
- Whip the cream and fold into the mix.
- Freeze using a domestic ice cream machine, or cover and place in the freezer.