Bridgestone Irish Food Guide

Bridgestone Food Guide When Lorraine tipped me off that the new Bridgestone Irish Food Guide was out, I was very excited. My brother Sean bought me a copy when he was in Dublin, and now I have it in my hands. I am delighted, and not only because we were given a great mention in it. This book is very useful.

My old copy is quite worn at this stage – creased, stained and dog-eared from many trips around the country, and it is a little out of date. For me it has been a invaluable tool when travelling in Ireland, in finding good food in odd places and in discovering culinary treasures, and I strongly suggest that any Irish foodie or visitor exploring this country purchase the new one immediately. John and Sally McKenna are great at what they do, show a remarkable amount of love for it, and they are spot on in their suggestions. I can’t say I have ever been led astray by their guides, and I use them all the time.

What makes me very happy as well is how the guide has swelled. It is now around 500 pages, and I don’t think it reflects any drop in standards by the McKennas, but rather the proliferation of Irish artisan foods and the increasing wealth of choice for food-lovers in terms of eateries. Happy days indeed.

By the way, I’m also pleased to see that some other Irish food bloggers were included – besides La Cucina, you will find Bubble Brothers and Ummera.

You can ask for the Irish Food Guide at your local bookshop or order it on-line here.

Technorati tags: , , , , ,

8 Responses to “Bridgestone Irish Food Guide”

1. July 1st, 2007 at 2:07 am

Jen says:

Hi Kieran –

I’m in the States, so I’m not sure I can get my hands on the guide quickly… Some friends and I will however, be visiting the Dingle area for a week at the end of July. I was hoping there might be some local producers or slow food folks who might indulge me in a visit/tour. Any suggestions? And yes, I will definitely be stopping by the shop for ice cream.

2. July 1st, 2007 at 10:53 am

Pick it up when you get here, for it will list all the good ones. Many of them will do tours or at least have a factory/farm shop… Look forward to meeting you.

3. July 1st, 2007 at 7:44 pm

Sarah Bell says:

Since you’ve got a guide, can you recommend anywhere in Mayo, I’m going to Belmullet next weekend ;-)

4. July 1st, 2007 at 8:40 pm

Lorraine@italianfoodies says:

congrats on not 1 but 2 mentions!!

5. July 2nd, 2007 at 10:38 am

Thanks, Lorraine; and Sarah – There’s a bunch in Mayo, but I don’t see anything in Belmullet. You’ll have to get the guide!

6. July 2nd, 2007 at 9:31 pm

Sally McKenna says:

Thanks for the review Kieran, much appreciated. Jen, if you are going to be in Dingle at the end of July check out the Dingle Local Produce and Craft market, run by Mary Devanne on the pier in Dingle, Fridays 9.30am-4pm. Otherwise the whole area specialises in chocolates, shellfish, Dingle pies, and of course, the very best ice cream. Sarah – in Mayo get some smoked salmon from the Clarke’s salmon smokers in Ballina, have lunch in Cafe Rua in Castlebar, the Park Inn Mulranny is one of the best restaurants in the country, and Kelly’s butchers in Newport is on a roll right now.

7. July 3rd, 2007 at 10:54 am

Thanks for that, Sally! I think anyone who reads that comment and doesn’t know the guides will immediately understand why I love them so much!

8. July 9th, 2008 at 1:07 pm

Máirín Maguire -Murphy says:

Hi guys
    Looking for a place to eat in Belmullet РAn Ch̩ibh award winning pub Рseafood- Georgina Campbell recommended. Owned by the Talbot family.

A place to stay? what better than in Drom Caoin http://www.dromcaoin.ie we have won awards for our breakfasts and are listed with Alastair Sawday – Special places to stay and Theemed B and B with Touwn and Country Homes http://www.townandcountry.ie also with Unusual Escapes http://www.smartbox.com.

We would love to have you visit us and if you bring this email you will get 10% off your bed and breakfast.

Look forward to meeting you!
    Máirín