Caife – Kahlua Espresso Ice Cream

Caife - Kahlua Espresso Ice Cream One of my favourite ice cream flavours that we make is our “Caife” – Kahlua Espresso with Chocolate Shavings. Coffee cuts sweetness and makes a great adult ice cream. In addition, the alcohol makes it even smoother, and the chocolate shavings provide a bit of chocolate that melts on the palate with the ice cream. I do hope you like this as much as I do!

Murphys Kahlua Espresso Ice Cream with Chocolate Shavings

Ingredients:

Kahlua1 Cup (237ml) + 1 Tablespoon Sugar
5 Egg Yolks
1 1/8 Cups (266ml) Cream
1 1/8 Cups (266ml) Milk
1/2 Cup (118ml) espresso
1/4 Cup (60ml) Kahlua
50g Good quality dark chocolate

Yield: 6 Servings

1. Add one tablespoon of the sugar to the espresso and reduce over medium heat until it is about 1/3 of its volume. Cool.

2. Beat the egg yolks into the rest of the sugar until thick and pale yellow.

3. Bring the milk to a simmer.

4. Beat the milk into the eggs and sugar in a slow stream.

5. Pour the mixture back into pan and place over low heat. Stir until the custard thickens slightly (around 70C). Use a thermometer, as at 75C the eggs will scramble!

6. Allow the custard to cool to refrigerator temperature (5C).

7. Use a potato peeler to shave the chocolate, keeping the shavings as long and thin as possible. Stir into the mix.

Kahlua Espresso Coffee Ice Cream8. Stir in the espresso and Kahlua.

9. Whip the cream.

10. Gently fold in the custard.

11. Freeze using a domestic ice cream machine, or cover and place in the freezer, stirring every few hours to break up the ice crystals.

Technorati tags: , , , , ,

9 Responses to “Caife – Kahlua Espresso Ice Cream”

1. June 8th, 2007 at 2:15 pm

brian says:

This looks fantastic. Coffee and chocolate are so great together. I’ve seen some recipes that call for cooking the custard past 80C (they say 185F). I think it’s the danger zone, for sure.

My d80 is supposed to arrive today. Thanks for the recommendation on the lens. Folks I know into photography say it was a good choice. Also, I have been seeing D80s everywhere. A coworker even has 2!

2. June 8th, 2007 at 2:16 pm

Deborah says:

Kahlua AND ice-cream? Could life get any better!

3. June 8th, 2007 at 4:11 pm

Best of luck, and happy playing!

4. June 8th, 2007 at 4:27 pm

brilynn says:

As soon as my new ice cream machine arrives, I’m making this!

5. June 11th, 2007 at 2:51 pm

Laura says:

I got my hands on a bottle of Kahlua recently and I need some ways of using it up so this is on the list. Just one quick question does the cream need to be double cream?
    P.S. Your niece is adorable trying her first ice-cream, if only everyone got to have Murphy’s as their first!

6. June 11th, 2007 at 6:01 pm

Thanks! I suppose it does. The cream here that I use is about 40% butterfat…

7. October 4th, 2007 at 11:07 pm

Tracey says:

Coffee and chocolate AND Kahlua..oh my. Just wanted to say thank-you for the recipe. I couldn’t resist this one, yummmmers. I used brown sugar instead of white and *pssssst* doubled the Kahlua. tee hee. I knew it would make a softer ice cream but it’s sooooooooooooo divine. Like lock the freezer cause you can’t stop at just one bite divine. Thanks. It’s very reminiscent of tiramisu, all ya need is the marscarpone cheese and lady fingers…hmmm perhaps I’ll add them next time! Double yum! Thanks again.

8. March 5th, 2010 at 3:47 am

Worth the Effort: Mocha Almond Fudge Ice Cream says:

[...] if you are eager like me—will let you know when it arrives) and I decided to try making his Kahlúa Espresso Ice Cream (my post about it here). The coffee flavor of this ice cream was amazing, and I knew right away I [...]

9. May 5th, 2011 at 2:08 am

Fudgy Kahlua Brownies with Browned Butter Icing | RecipeGirl.com says:

[...] great-sounding dessert recipes on the blogs that contain Kahlua: Ice Cream Ireland: Kahlua- Espresso Ice Cream The Gourmet Foodie Blog: Kahlua Cupcakes Sugar & Spice: Chocolate- Kahlua Cake Rah Cha Chow: [...]