Pink Peppercorn Ice Cream

I love pink peppercorns. They have an amazing flavour – peppery, fruity, complex, and we thought they’d make a great ice cream. Interestingly, pink peppercorns are not actually peppercorns, but rather dried berries from the Baies rose plant. They come from Madagascar, where many great things are grown.

This ice cream is spicy, and frankly it’s a bit confusing on the palate. I think it’s because of the complexity of flavour that reminds one of something and yet is a bit elusive. I’ll give the recipe here, but it’s a bit of a work in progress. We’re thinking of doing another version with strawberry, and I’ll let you know how we get on!

MURPHYS PINK PEPPERCORN ICE CREAM

Ingredients:

• 120g sugar
• 5 egg yolks
• 220 ml cream
• 220 ml milk
• 2 teaspoons ground pink peppercorn

What to do:

1. Beat the sugar and egg yolks and until it thickens and lightens in colour.
2. Bring the milk to a low simmer.
3. Beat the milk into the egg/sugar mixture in a slow stream.
4. Pour the mixture back into the pan and place over low heat.
5. Stir continuously until the custard thickens slightly (around 65-70C) and just coats the back of a spoon. Don’t over-heat, though, because at around 76C you will scramble the eggs!
6. Immediately remove from the heat.
7. Allow to cool.
8. Stir in the peppercorns.
9. Whip the cream until it has doubled in volume (you should have soft peaks – don’t over-whip).
10. Fold (gently stir) in the custard.
11. Freeze using a domestic ice cream machine.
You can also just cover and place in the freezer, stirring every few hours.

Yield: 8 servings

Notes:

1. It’s hard to say how spicy your peppercorns would be, so you might need to add more or less!

2. To pasteurise the eggs, heat the custard to 73C and maintain that temperature for at least 5 minutes. Use a cooking thermometer, though, and keep stirring! If the custard goes any higher than 76C, the eggs will scramble. Immediately cover and place in the freezer until cool.

Technorati tags:

7 Responses to “Pink Peppercorn Ice Cream”

1. December 1st, 2010 at 5:38 am

Donna from Yumma Yumma says:

This looks like an interesting and awesome ice cream flavor. My husband has made some ice cream at home and most of them have turned out very good. One experiement he tried was cake and bacon ice cream…cake flavored ice cream with bacon in it. The first bite was good…the whole sweet and salty thing together…but after that first bite, it lost its novelty, sadly.

2. December 1st, 2010 at 9:26 pm

Jessica says:

This sounds amazing! I recently got some organic pink peppercorns from Sustainable Sourcing https://secure.sustainablesourcing.com and I’ve been trying to come up with any way possible to use them. This recipe will have to go to the top of my list!

3. December 2nd, 2010 at 9:06 am

retro sweets says:

Looks so yummy! This would be my first try in making ice cream and I’m getting all exited! If I fail I’ll just buy them from you. Wish me luck so that I won’t overcook the eggs! :)

4. December 13th, 2010 at 4:54 pm

derek says:

I had this on one of the coldest evenings in Dublin recently – I saw the sign advertising it on your Temple Bar shop and just had to try it, it was amazing! I’d love to get a Tub of it for Christmas, will it be available in 500ml Tubs?

5. December 18th, 2010 at 2:08 pm

We’re not going to launch it, but we could always fill a tub for you in the shop.

6. August 22nd, 2011 at 11:31 am

Ice Cream says:

Pink peppercorn ice cream is a great concept because it is spicy and sweet in taste at the same time. It is something different and a unique concept.

7. September 29th, 2011 at 12:33 pm

Ice Cream Van for Hire says:

PEPPERCORN ICE CREAM is very different.It looks like strawberries.One should serve it to guests.It will give extra ordinary appearance.