Happy Hunting, Ivan

Today, Ivan, the ice cream dog, passed away. He was a huge part of our lives, especially Sean & Wiebke, Conor & Una. Ivan was a big part of Murphys Ice Cream as well, because in the early days he lay across the doorway of our Dingle shop, keeping an eye on us and forcing customers to stumble over him to come in for an ice cream or coffee. They didn’t seem to mind, and he made a big impression.

Ivan has been sick for a while and by the end could barely lift his head or recognise me. That’s not how I will remember him, though. I’ll remember Ivan for the majestic dog he was, chasing sticks on Ventry beach and holding court on Strand Street, convincing tourists he hadn’t been fed in a month and deserved the last few bites of their cones.

RIP. We’ll miss you terribly!

7 Responses to “Happy Hunting, Ivan”

1. November 15th, 2010 at 11:32 pm

Cian says:

Aw that’s heartbreaking. He was the most adorable dog. Loved the way he sat outside the shop door preying on innocent passers by with his cuteness lol. Rip Ivan.

2. November 16th, 2010 at 11:09 am

Gillian says:

Love can be heartbreaking sometimes.

3. November 16th, 2010 at 1:16 pm

Darragh says:

Sorry to hear that, but lovely post. Hope he’s running on a beach in some universe!

4. November 16th, 2010 at 6:52 pm

Donna at yumma yumma says:

I’m so sorry to hear of your loss! :( I lost a precious pet bunny a few years ago and know how it feels to lose such a dear friend. Love the picture! That’ll be a good way to remember him!

5. November 18th, 2010 at 6:54 pm

Monika says:

So sorry for your loss :-(

I remember when I first “met” him in this post: http://icecreamireland.com/2008/10/30/another-ice-cream-cat/

6. November 22nd, 2010 at 6:11 pm

Andy says:

Thats brought tears to my eyes, Ivan was such a character. Always a treat to see him. My love to you all

7. November 22nd, 2010 at 7:26 pm

samantha says:

sorry for your loss. :( very sweet picture and post to remember him, though.