Any Ideas?

We’ve been working on our meringues again (recipe here), and here’s a dessert that we’d like to introduce into the shops.

It’s a meringue nest base, filled with cream. On top of that is a scoop of ice cream, some sauce, some more cream, and a little meringue hat.

We’ve tried it with:

• Strawberry ice cream and strawberry sauce
  • Honeycomb ice cream and caramel sauce
  • Chocolate ice cream and chocolate sauce

… and they are all delicious.

The problem is, we need a name for this dessert.

Any ideas?

(If you think up a good one, I’ll give you a free one on your next trip to Kerry!)

Technorati tags: , ,

23 Responses to “Any Ideas?”

1. September 29th, 2008 at 9:42 pm

Danielle says:

Traditionally, these are called Pavlovas after the Russian ballerina.

2. September 29th, 2008 at 10:06 pm

Jodi says:

I think you should call them fro-poes — short for frozen pavlovas! That’s what they make me think of actually — instead of berries you have gorgeous ice cream!

3. September 30th, 2008 at 2:13 am

Joan says:

How about the Brandon Blast? Sort of looks like a little mountain.

4. September 30th, 2008 at 4:31 am

Jen in SF says:

Well, my straight ahead response is that it’s an Ice Cream Pavlova, but if you want something a little more poetic, the meringue is light as a cloud, so… Sundae in the Clouds? Cloud Nine Sundae?

5. September 30th, 2008 at 5:49 am

Martin says:

Joan’s right, it has to be a mountain, preferably a snowcapped one.
    Hows about a Montblanc? a bit corny,but nicely obvious.
    That way you can have Chocolate Montblanc etc……

6. September 30th, 2008 at 12:16 pm

Monika says:

Sorry Martin, that is not good, as far as I know Mont Blanc is a dessert made with chestnut puree… I would go with Jen’s, Cloud Nine Pavlova or something similar…

7. September 30th, 2008 at 3:20 pm

Deirdre says:

Too bad I’m not there to help with the tasting! I like the Mount Brandon angle. What about calling it a ( Finbarr/ Lichtenberg/ Light-Mountain) -”Finn Bar”- or -”Fionn Bar”-?
    Have you tried out the lemon mirangue pie version? Pavlova, Lemon ice cream? topped with whipped cream and maybe cookie crumbs?

8. September 30th, 2008 at 7:42 pm

Kingdom says:

Hi Kieran,
    Looking forward to the Dingle Food festival this weekend! How about calling your new dessert Meringutangtastic…just popped into my head…a little long perhaps!

9. September 30th, 2008 at 10:13 pm

Deb Schiff says:

How about Cream Clouds?

10. October 1st, 2008 at 8:56 am

Max says:

Great stuff, here is what I came up with:
    -Snow Cap
    -Ice Nest
    -Frozen Easter
    -Bunny Bomb
    -Snow Scarf (looks like a little man with a large scarf wrapped around)

All the best!

11. October 1st, 2008 at 9:26 am

Kimme @ irish cottage dreams says:

Hmm, I think you should call it…

Meringue-a-ding dang!

Goofy huh :)
    ~kimme

12. October 1st, 2008 at 1:21 pm

Sheila says:

I don’t know, with it’s pointy top, it looks like Cruach Mhárthain. Martin in Clouds?

By the way, we did get into the shop (An Daingean) several times, last week while in town (although now back in DC, and already missing the fabulous coffee and ice cream!). The folks in the shop we so lovely, (especially Sara) and we told everyone we met to stop in (and who could resist with the glorious weather last week?). Stopping in for coffee was the last thing we did, meeting our friend Sandra, before driving to the airport.

13. October 1st, 2008 at 2:09 pm

Scoopalicious says:

to me they look like little winter hats — you know with a brim and a pompom…but i don’t have a good NAME for it!

14. October 1st, 2008 at 4:37 pm

Serving-Ice-Cream says:

I think there gorgeous! Just like little works of art!

They look like

“Ice Cream Pedestals” (pedestal – position of high regard or adoration – I think that’s how I would esteem these treats if I tried them!)

or

“Ice Cream in the Round” (sculpture in the round – is made to be seen and enjoyed from all directions…just like these treats!)

Looks good! Maybe worth a trip to Ireland =O)

15. October 1st, 2008 at 6:20 pm

Angela says:

What about “Snowy Peaks”? Or “Sky High Meringues”?

16. October 2nd, 2008 at 9:05 am

Everybody, that’s fantastic! I’ll come back to this as soon as we wrap up our food festival and awards…

17. October 2nd, 2008 at 2:33 pm

chouquette de France says:

why not “nid d’amour” (love nest in French ?) or “nuage d’ange” (angel cloud) ?

18. October 3rd, 2008 at 9:55 am

Kitchen Goddess says:

No more suggestions for a name, just wanted to say they look gorgeous.

19. October 4th, 2008 at 10:09 pm

Katia from France says:

I’m thinking about “Iceberg” or if you mean that the name of a mountain could be ok, why not “Everest” or “Fuji Yama” (because Mont Blanc is a cream, mostly vanilla or chocolate) with my preference for the last one.

20. October 7th, 2008 at 9:29 am

Cool Chocolate Gifts says:

Mmmmm!! looks so delicious! the one with chocolate sauce is just mouth watering big time.

21. October 7th, 2008 at 2:05 pm

TACE says:

Ummmm, a Frozen Cozy? I dunno it seemed like the ice cream looked cozy tucked in the meringue. haha

22. October 13th, 2008 at 1:16 pm

dinazad says:

Looks like an Easter nest complete with Easter egg to me. So why not call it “(Strawberry, chocolat . etc. etc. ) nest egg”?

23. November 14th, 2008 at 8:59 pm

Marc says:

You could call them Snowmans Suprise and if people asked what the suprise was then you could have a little spoonfull of coulis on the meringue before placing the scoop of ice cream on top.