Orange Jaffa (Oráiste) Ice Cream

Orange Jaffa Ice Cream This was one of our very first ice cream formulations and has proven very popular of the the years. In fact, there is a certain little girl whose first word was reportedly “Jaffa” when demanding this flavour from her parents. It’s a crowd-pleaser, with shredded bits of Jaffa cakes as well as another British invention – marmalade.

Marmalade goes way back (the Oxford English Dictionary cites 1480 as the first usage of the word) and is generally made with citrus fruits – orange being the most popular option. As citrus fruits became more available in Britain in the 16th century, marmalade became a choice sweet. In fact, anyone who has travelled in the UK will be hard put upon to remember a traditional breakfast without the option of these preserves and toast.

We like to use the marmalade as a base flavour and freshen it with orange zest. The great thing about orange zest (besides its magnificent taste) is that it uses a part of the fruit one would normally just throw away or compost, and that always is a pleasure.

ORANGE JAFFA (ORÁISTE) ICE CREAM

Ingredients:

• Jaffa Cakes130g sugar
  • 5 egg yolks
  • 240 ml cream
  • 200 ml milk
  • Zest (grated peel) of half an orange
  • 50 g marmalade
  • 4 Jaffa cakes

What to do:

1. Add the orange zest to the milk and bring to a simmer.
  2. Remove from the heat.
  3. Beat the sugar and egg yolks together until thick and pale yellow.
  4. Beat the milk into the eggs and sugar in a slow stream.
  5. Pour the mixture back into the pan, and place over low heat.
  6. Stir continuously until the custard thickens slightly (around 65-70C) and just coats the back of a spoon. Don’t over-heat, though, because at around 76C you will scramble the eggs!
  7. Immediately remove from the heat. Sieve if you want to remove the orange zest.
  8. Stir in the marmalade.
  9. Transfer the custard into a small container, cover, and refrigerate until cool (5C).
  10. Whip the cream until it has doubled in volume (you should have soft peaks – don’t over-whip).
  11. Fold the cream (gently stir) into the custard.
  12. Shred the jaffa cakes into small pieces.
  13. Freeze using a domestic ice cream machine, adding the jaffa cakes when it’s semi-solid. You can also just cover and place in the freezer, stirring every few hours, and again, add the jaffa cakes when it’s semi-solid.
  14. If you’re using a domestic ice cream machine, transfer to a freezer-proof covered container when the ice cream has achieved a semi-solid consistency (around 15 minutes). Place it in the freezer, and continue to freeze until it is solid.

Note: To pasteurise the eggs, heat the custard to 73C and maintain that temperature for at least 5 minutes. Use a cooking thermometer, though! If the custard goes any higher than 76C, the eggs will scramble. Immediately cover and place in the freezer until cool.

Technorati tags: , , , ,

15 Responses to “Orange Jaffa (Oráiste) Ice Cream”

1. January 30th, 2008 at 8:19 pm

Annie says:

This is my favourite flavour you make!

2. January 30th, 2008 at 9:36 pm

Rachel@fairycakeheaven says:

Kieran my husband had just made me promise to make this!!! what have you done??????????????? and yum!!!

3. January 30th, 2008 at 9:50 pm

Sarah Bell says:

Hmm look lovely, will have to give that a go.

4. January 31st, 2008 at 1:01 am

Let me know how it turns out!

5. January 31st, 2008 at 5:48 pm

Patricia Scarpin says:

The words “orange” and “ice cream” together make me dream! This looks so good!

6. January 31st, 2008 at 10:56 pm

Rachel@fairycakeheaven says:

Such a pity I won’t be home to make this at the weekend but roll on next week!

And I tagged you Kieran, have never seen you being tagged before but maybe you have, check out my blog and you’ll see what it’s all about.

7. January 31st, 2008 at 11:15 pm

Jen says:

OK, Sunday is officially going to be a celebration of icecream in our house. I was already planning to make the tempting banana/chocolate recipe you posted the other day (bananas ripening nicely in the bowl as I type) but this is definitely getting a work out too :-)

8. February 1st, 2008 at 1:05 am

Mr T says:

But is it Jacobs or McVities

9. February 1st, 2008 at 12:53 pm

Trinity says:

oh dear gawd! heaven :)

10. February 1st, 2008 at 11:58 pm

Thanks, everyone, and Mr T – well, we all have our secret preferences!

11. February 3rd, 2008 at 7:52 pm

Kate says:

I made this yesterday and just had my first taste. It’s fantastic – thanks for the recipe Kieran

12. February 3rd, 2008 at 9:26 pm

That’s great to hear!

13. June 18th, 2008 at 7:30 pm

Mila says:

I’ve tried the recipe ant it is gorgeous. My family loved it. Then I thought: what if I try the same recipe with a different flavour? so I tried with raspberry jam and raspberry cakes and it was delicious as well.
    Thank you for your recipies and your ideas

14. April 9th, 2011 at 12:57 am

bell says:

I’ve been going through a major ice cream making phase recently (and meringue to balance things out!) This worked out fantastically as have all your recipes I’ve tried so far. This one is one of my favourites. It’s has an interesting flavour, it’s smooth and flecked with little cakey-orangey-chocolatey bits and perfect! I used marmalade without bits in it and it was delicious. Thanks a bunch!

15. April 2nd, 2012 at 9:38 pm

bell says:

Hi Kieran,

Just a question – I was thinking of experimenting with making a mango and passion fruit ice cream. Would these ingredients cause the cream to curdle? I know that the acidity in the fruit is the reason for curdling when combined with cream, but how much acid are you able to use?

Thanks