Chocolate Tart and Kerry Cows

Chocolate Tart

Today, with the rain pouring down and the murky half-light of West Kerry taking away any sense of summer, I decided to cheer myself up by baking. I did two chocolate tarts (shown above) for the shops as well as a pair of lemon tarts.

milk churnI was quite pleased with the results. The chocolate tart is based on the Payard book I’ve been talking about, although I made a few changes – another egg yolk, a slightly different pastry, and a combination of bitter and dark chocolate.

Mind you, there was more to be cheerful about, since we took our first delivery of Kerry Cow milk from a local farmer, and we made a batch of ice cream.

It’s amazing how much changing a single ingredient changes the entire ice cream. The Kerry Cow milk is much creamier, and it will take a bit of playing to get it right. Still, for a first run, we were quite pleased with it.

One of the flavours JP made from it was Stewed Apple and Galliano. It’s a great combination, and I must commend him!

Technorati tags: , , , , ,

6 Responses to “Chocolate Tart and Kerry Cows”

1. May 18th, 2006 at 1:43 am

Amanda says:

That tart looks beautiful! How did you make the decoration?

2. May 18th, 2006 at 11:17 am

It’s chocolate shavings from Schokinag. Is that cheating?

3. May 19th, 2006 at 7:31 pm

Aine says:

Hi Kieran,

I just loooove your blog…! I wish I could come to your ice cream shop every single day, but unfortunately I’ve never ever been there, because I live quite a bit too far away… In Hamburg, Germany… I hope to be able to visit your place soon… I’m in Ireland quite often, so there will be a possibility some time…! I’m looking forward to it…! You see, I love ice cream and chocolate and we’d probably have a lot to chat about…! *lol*

Anyway, I really love looking at the beautiful and mouthwatering pictures you take of your ice creams and cakes, and I would like to ask you for permission to choose one to show it in my personal blog. I’ve written about your blog and my wish to visit your shop one day. And it would be great to have a pic in the article. Would that be okay with you…?

Have a look at the article if you like…! :)

Your “fan” Aine

4. May 20th, 2006 at 1:37 am

Cath says:

Wow Kieran! This looks amazing! Where do you find the time?!

5. May 21st, 2006 at 10:19 am

No prob, Aine. Thanks for asking. As for time, well it’s going to get harder with the summer coming on!

6. May 21st, 2006 at 9:54 pm